Quotes for loft conversion

jonny8oy

many thanks for the replies, and thankyou to paul and craig for the pm,s very helpful and informative, i would have replied via pm but as is stated i cannot due to limited posts, another query was i recently had a builder say that he didnt really need plans to start the work as he knew what was required ie what work was to be carried out, now am i missing something here, if no plans are necessary to start the work then why spend the best part of a grand to submit to the council etc??

any clarification on this would be much appreciated.

btw re pm,s and quotes i still havent settled on a builder so may be in touch regarding this in the near future, once again many thanks

jon :)

If you don't submit it to the council, and get planning permission it won't be 'legal' as far as I know. With a loft conversion if you don't conform to planning regulations and come to sell, you can't count it as a bedroom, it is just still a loft. An extension does require planning permission though so I think it may be illegal to construct one without the correct permissions.

Edit: have just seen you don't need planning permission for the extension (I guess its already been obtained?)

You could start work on the loft although you shouldn't without the approval, and they can sign it off afterwards, but you would still need to get it done eventually if it is to be classed as a habitable space.

If you don't submit it to the council, and get planning permission it won't be 'legal' as far as I know. With a loft conversion if you don't conform to planning regulations and come to sell, you can't count it as a bedroom, it is just still a loft. An extension does require planning permission though so I think it may be illegal to construct one without the correct permissions.

Edit: have just seen you don't need planning permission for the extension (I guess its already been obtained?)

You could start work on the loft although you shouldn't without the approval, and they can sign it off afterwards, but you would still need to get it done eventually if it is to be classed as a habitable space.

thanks leah

think my question might have come across the wrong way, i wouldnt want to not submit to council etc i think the thing that was bothering me the most was the fact that a builder stated that he could start the build without the plans to work from, i was wondering what the point of the plans were if this is the case, i was under the impression that the plans would be needed to use dimensions etc, also couldnt building regs turn up and say this is nothjng like the plans that have been submitted??

im a little confused at the moment

:confused::confused::confused:

re extension, thats permitted development because its up to 3m thats why no planning is required :)

thanks leah

think my question might have come across the wrong way, i wouldnt want to not submit to council etc i think the thing that was bothering me the most was the fact that a builder stated that he could start the build without the plans to work from, i was wondering what the point of the plans were if this is the case, i was under the impression that the plans would be needed to use dimensions etc, also couldnt building regs turn up and say this is nothjng like the plans that have been submitted??

im a little confused at the moment

:confused::confused::confused:

re extension, thats permitted development because its up to 3m thats why no planning is required :)

Ahh right, didn't realise there was a size limit :)

The builder saying he 'could start' he may be able to do some very minor works, maybe hes done many of them and knows that some things are 'standard', such as the correct thickness of floor joists and boards, and what he should do to meet regs, however, I wouldn't bother letting him start until you have the right stuff in place, just in case!

Hi, I used a brilliant company for some decking, then had them back to do my loft conversion. Ive used them for other things since as they are a full building works company. They know what they're talking about, no fancy words, no fancy prices. no extra costs or hidden costs either unless you ask for extra work obviously. Call Scott Smith from Urban Construction 07927 492850, fast, efficent and bloody brilliant!

hi all

im a 1st time user on the sheffield forum but as you all seem a friendly and approachable bunch i thought i would post a question regarding some home improvements i have planned, so far i have started the process and am having plans drawn up for a rear single story extension (permitted development) no need for planning, this will be aproximately 3m x 5.5m and a loft conversion, however im pretty confused by some of the quotes im recieving, the loft conversion seems to come back with the same results price wise but the extension to the rear has come back with some suprising results to say the least, on a quick scour of the internet a rough estimate for extension work seem to be around 1k per square meter which i originally budgeted for ie around the 15k mark, my question is does this seem unrealistic, i have budgeted for bi-folds and would add these on to any quotes given, any advice offered would be greatly appreciated, although i dont want to get fleeced and spend over budget i am also concerned that a quote thats too cheap gets my alarm bells ringing,many thanks in advance.

jon

Please contact David who will be happy to provide a quote really goo rates

Tele:0787517205

Planning aside, the works will require Building Regulations approval, as mentioned, to show that they are structurally sound, fire safe, well ventilated etc. If you are in need of any such plans drawing up and submitting to the the local authority I am happy to help quote for this. Website: http://www.aracus.com

Also it may be worth mentioning that a loft conversion will require planning if you are constructing a dormer window.

Archived