Blayton Road Pitsmoor strange house numbering

On Blayton Road (off Scott Rd) in Pitsmoor, the houses on the even side run up to number 20, then next door is number 40, with no gap inbetween. The houses up to number 20 are semi-detatched, but the rest is a terrace. Does anyone know why this is?

My best guess is that the street was bombed during the second world war and partially rebuilt, but I can find no reference to this on the net - any ideas? Can be seen on map 89 on this forum.

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic/4008-os-maps-of-sheffield-and-district-1950s-over-300-of-them/page-3#entry22892

Hi, I lived on Blayton Road in the 70s. There are entries to the backs of four houses on Scott Road then there used to be a number of garages which were built on an orchard owned by a local man. These were later sold for building the newer semis. There then used to be a couple of shops - butchers and greengrocers. The next lot of semis are pre-war (along with those on Kirton Road) and I presume could have been part of the orchard. But as to the numbering I have no idea.

As far as I know the only bomb damage locally was on Scott Road, at the junction with Kirton Road, when the Co-op had a direct hit.

The local directories I have back to 1942 don't list any numbers between 20 and 40 on Blayton Road. In the 1925 directory the even numbers begin with No 40. So the terraced houses numbered 40+ must have been built before 1925 and the semis afterwards. Perhaps when the terraced houses were built they left enough room for 19 terraced houses [numbered 2 to 38] but in the end semis were built and so less numbers were needed.

On Blayton Road (off Scott Rd) in Pitsmoor, the houses on the even side run up to number 20, then next door is number 40, with no gap inbetween. The houses up to number 20 are semi-detatched, but the rest is a terrace. Does anyone know why this is?

My best guess is that the street was bombed during the second world war and partially rebuilt, but I can find no reference to this on the net - any ideas? Can be seen on map 89 on this forum.

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic/4008-os-maps-of-sheffield-and-district-1950s-over-300-of-them/page-3#entry22892

Yes, I think that it is correct what "Hillsboro" says, that the terrace houses lower down Blayton rt were built earlier, with space left for a further 19 terraces, but later the semis were built instead. I was born in 1948 at Cawston Road, which runs across the bottom of Blayton Road, and I lived there until the 1970s but I had never noticed the numbers. My parents used to refer to the terraced houses as "railway houses", and indeed during my childhood, most of those houses were occupied by families where the man worked for the railways.

As has been metioned, the nearest bombing was at Scott road, the Co-op at the corner of Kirton road was hit. Also house on Kirton road and Ellesmere rd (north) which backed on to each other were destroyed by a bomb. My auntie, uncle and cousin were bombed out of their house there but luckily unharmed.

---------- Post added 10-02-2013 at 12:25 ----------

Yes, I think that it is correct what "Hillsboro" says, that the terrace houses lower down Blayton rd were built earlier, with space left for a further 19 terraces, but later the semis were built instead. I was born in 1948 at Cawston Road, which runs across the bottom of Blayton Road, and I lived there until the 1970s but I had never noticed the numbers. My parents used to refer to the terraced houses as "railway houses", and indeed during my childhood, most of those houses were occupied by families where the man worked for the railways.

As has been mentioned, the nearest bombing was at Scott road ,and the Co-op at the corner of Kirton road was hit. Also some houses on Kirton road and Ellesmere rd (north) which backed on to each other, were destroyed by a bomb. My auntie, uncle and cousin were bombed out of their house there but luckily unharmed.You will notice a few newer houses, built 1970s? half way down Kirton rd. They were built on the site of the houses, after many years of the site having garages built on it.

• 11 months later...

I lived at No 40 Blayton Road from when I was born in 1954 until I left in 1985and I couldn't understand why my neighbours' house was No 20 either! I expected it to be No 38. Somebody said that before the semis were built, the site had been allotments but I cannot confirm that rumour. My grandparents used to live at No 46.

There was a shop at the top of Blayton Road which was a beer-off but then the shop was closed and it became an ordinary house. There were also garages and a small factory just after the semis finished. I loved living on Blayton Road. Everyone knew everybody else and when I was very little, there used to be 'Blayton Road Trips' where everyone went on a day trip to the seaside every year - and nobody was ever burgled on that day (as far as I know)!

I always think of Blayton Road as 'home'. :)

Off topic, but does anyone have any information on the Roman coin hoard found in 1906 that is referenced on Scott Road on map 90? (linked above).

Miss Manning of All Saints Juniors lived on that part of Scott Road in the fifties. I'm sure she would have known all about it.

Archived