Social care cap 'to be set at £75,000'

Why do they bother having reviews then ignoring them? In 2011 the review suggested a cap of £35000, now the Government are going to make it £75000. If you have savings of over £23,250 then you are going to have to pay for any care costs. So if you take care of your money and save for your old age and have savings of £23,250 then you will have to pay for care, if on the other hand you spend all your money then you will be looked after.

The health secretary added that he would expect pension and insurance companies to offer new products "where people save for their social care just as they save for their pension". How does he expect people on the NMW to be able to save for a pension let alone social care?

The whole situation is a disgrace when one is penalised for saving in order to pass something on to your children.

Years ago a friend of mine used to say jokingly that it should be everyones ambition to retire penniless and not own your own house and then the state would look after you.

I don't think of it as a joke now.

The whole situation is a disgrace when one is penalised for saving in order to pass something on to your children.

Years ago a friend of mine used to say jokingly that it should be everyones ambition to retire penniless and not own your own house and then the state would look after you.

I don't think of it as a joke now.

Well nearly. If the state pay for it, they will pretty much say where you go. I wouldn't put a dog in some care homes I've seen, and wouldn't leave anyone I cared about in some. Thing is 75k sounds alot but it might only be two years care in a nursing home.

Put your money into gold and silver coins. They don't show up as part of your savings.

As long as you do it gradually, over the years, they'll never twig.

The £75,000 is just for care costs, nobody is mentioning the additional £12,500 per year bed and board costs on top of that.

For a couple, that's going to add up to far more than £150,000, which is the average cost of a semi in Sheffield, so who's not going to have to sell their home to pay for it?

Surely if you live in a Residential home you're not getting the care component, so the annual cost should just be £12,500, or £1,125 a month?

£3,000+ a month is just another rip off.

The £75,000 is just for care costs, nobody is mentioning the additional £12,500 per year bed and board costs on top of that.

For a couple, that's going to add up to far more than £150,000, which is the average cost of a semi in Sheffield, so who's not going to have to sell their home to pay for it?

Surely if you live in a Residential home you're not getting the care component, so the annual cost should just be £12,500, or £1,125 a month?

Isn't care stuff like washing/dressing help with the toilet etc? Genuine question..

I think the idea is that the state pension will pay the bed and board costs.

It still doesn't change the fact though that some will pay for care and others will not.

Isn't care stuff like washing/dressing help with the toilet etc? Genuine question..

I'm not sure how much of that you would get or need in a residential home, but if you did need help it would be given by someone on minimum wage, and wouldn't be more than a few minutes a day.

I'm not sure how much of that you would get or need in a residential home, but if you did need help it would be given by someone on minimum wage, and wouldn't be more than a few minutes a day.

Are you saying people don't get help with washing and dressing in residential homes..

Archived