Social care cap 'to be set at £75,000'

The basic problem has not been addressed.

Care is too expensive.

A minimum of £2,000 a month has not and cannot be justified.

Residential home workers are on minimum wage, and their numbers are reduced to a bare minimum. Food is basic and minimal. Where is the money going other than making profits for the fat cats?

Care is too expensive.

Residential home workers are on minimum wage, and their numbers are reduced to a bare minimum. Food is basic and minimal. Where is the money going other than making profits for the fat cats?

In some cases it is too expensive. There are care workers and care workers. Some will be on more than nmw, then you have auxiliary staff (cooks caretakers) lord knows what the heating bills are like. Also staff numbers vary from place to place. Are their any activities ? And if it the price it is just line pockets, why are council care homes a similar price and standard(ish !).

But some are very over priced considering the level and standard of staffing and condition of the buildings. They always have spaces. The nice ones never do.

In some cases it is too expensive. There are care workers and care workers. Some will be on more than nmw, then you have auxiliary staff (cooks caretakers) lord knows what the heating bills are like. Also staff numbers vary from place to place. Are their any activities ? And if it the price it is just line pockets, why are council care homes a similar price and standard(ish !). But some are very over priced considering the level and standard of staffing and condition of the buildings. They always have spaces. The nice ones never do.

They aren't. A council care home is about £400.

We went to see a couple of private ones which were £700 and £800 a week.

£620 for a council one in Kirklees

"We set a weekly charge for accommodation in Local Authority care homes. This is based on what it actually costs us to run the home and is calculated using national guidance on local authority accounting. From 09th April 2012 the maximum weekly rates charged are £618.58 in Ings Grove House and Moorlands Grange or £627.13 per week in Claremont House and Castle Grange"

Interesting. My experiences are different, council ones being an average price of the private ones, that's not say some private ones don't go alot higher - some do but you can usually see where the money is spent. Again, I'm sure things will vary from council to council.

---------- Post added 15-02-2013 at 12:59 ----------

£620 in Kirklees

"We set a weekly charge for accommodation in Local Authority care homes. This is based on what it actually costs us to run the home and is calculated using national guidance on local authority accounting. From 09th April 2012 the maximum weekly rates charged are £618.58 in Ings Grove House and Moorlands Grange or £627.13 per week in Claremont House and Castle Grange"

Blimey that seems expensive for residential care. Seems its well worth considering which council you live under when you retire.

This is an very interesting quote from the latest official booklet produced by Sheffield City Council; 'A guide to Residential and Nursing Care in Sheffield' (page 8)

Paying for your care:

"If your place at the home costs more than the amount the council will pay you'll need to have a relative, a friend or a charity willing to pay the difference when you are living there. They'll have to sign an agreement to pay the additional cost of your care. If at any time they're unable to pay this amount you may be asked to move to another home. You Can't use your own money to pay the additional cost."

Also from the same booklet, the council will pay £424 for a council run home, £353 for a private Residential home and £391 for a Nursing care home. That's if you qualify for help, in other words have no home to sell or savings.

This is an very interesting quote from the latest official booklet produced by Sheffield City Council; 'A guide to Residential and Nursing Care in Sheffield' (page 8)

Paying for your care:

"If your place at the home costs more than the amount the council will pay you'll need to have a relative, a friend or a charity willing to pay the difference when you are living there. They'll have to sign an agreement to pay the additional cost of your care. If at any time they're unable to pay this amount you may be asked to move to another home. You Can't use your own money to pay the additional cost."

Also from the same booklet, the council will pay £424 for a council run home, £353 for a private Residential home and £391 for a Nursing care home. That's if you qualify for help, in other words have no home to sell or savings.

I'm not sure I'd even like to walk round a £391 nursing home. Definate incentive not to live within scc borders when you're old, and even more save enough for a one way trip to dignitas !

I'm not sure I'd even like to walk round a £391 nursing home. Definate incentive not to live within scc borders when you're old, and even more save enough for a one way trip to dignitas !

I don't know of any that charge less than that, so it looks like relatives had better get ready to stump up the extra cash.

I wonder if they realise? It's not been given any publicity....

I might start another thread on this as I don't think people appreciate they may end up paying for relatives care.

Care is too expensive.

Who are the fat cats making a massive profit then, there are publicly listed care home companies, they file accounts, maybe you can point out the ones that make a massive profit?

Who are the fat cats making a massive profit then, there are publicly listed care home companies, they file accounts, maybe you can point out the ones that make a massive profit?

I would imagine companies like Serco have some but it's almost impossible to unravel their accounts or find out who owns them. But the CEO is earning more than half a million + bonus

Archived