Cars parked the wrong way around on the roads

it was a rainy wet night as I came up the road I nearly ran into a black car parked the wrong way round in the road.

I always thought that after dark you had to park on the "right" side of the road too, but actually wouldn't the black car be the same hazard no matter which way it was parked?

I'm just going to quote myself here, I've read back my post, it infers residence on a one way street...I didn't mean that..I meant that it's not always easy to get to your destination without having to negotiate a system where you seem to be travelling backwards to go forwards..or sideways even..

Anyhoo, I knew what I meant...in my head it seemed quite straightforward.

I noticed a car parked the wrong way round at the bottom of Barnesly road, on the left side of the road facing down the hill next to the NGH entrance, if you know that junction you know how stupid that parking was.

I always thought that after dark you had to park on the "right" side of the road too, but actually wouldn't the black car be the same hazard no matter which way it was parked?

Not so, because all vehicles have reflective red lights on the rear, not on the front of the car, thus giving oncoming vehicle users a visible advantage.

---------- Post added 09-02-2013 at 23:26 ----------

I think there is an insurance issue with this; if your car is hit by another (rear -end shunt, as it were) then it might jeopardize the claim as the rear red reflectors would not be visible, perhaps someone could clarify?

A front to front shunt as its called, would depend on where the car was parked, the owner of a car parked the wrong way round at night in the road coursing and accident would be classed as the offender, and the driver of the traveling car would be able to claim damages from the parked cars owner.

How many years ago?

Never known it in my 20 years of driving.

The last time I know for sure of it being used as a reason for writing a ticket locally was 7 years ago, when my ex-husband parked his truck on the old road alongside Penistone Road overnight and got a ticket for it being parked facing the wrong direction, despite there being no passing traffic (it being effectively a disused piece of road) and there being no other problems with the parking at all.

it is?

oh god id kill yourself quick

'tis true Mel, but I'll pass on your recommendation....anyhooooooo, cars...parking..wrong way..one way...lights...Grrrrrr!!!

---------- Post added 09-02-2013 at 23:39 ----------

The last time I know for sure of it being used as a reason for writing a ticket locally was 7 years ago, when my ex-husband parked his truck on the old road alongside Penistone Road overnight and got a ticket for it being parked facing the wrong direction, despite there being no passing traffic (it being effectively a disused piece of road) and there being no other problems with the parking at all.

My ex-husband's family lived on Worrall Road in the old Middlewood Hospital cottages near the Golf Course...there were tickets given regularly for parking the 'wrong way', that was 8-9 years ago, suppose it's how zealous the enforcer wants to be, and how easy it was to give a ticket. TBH, if I was a Traffic Warden I'd happily slap a ticket on one guy who parks everyday on double yellows on a bad bend on a road I drive 4 times a day...but that's another subject..kind of...

...or with the random one way systems around Sheffield, it may not be possible to drive 'Up' your road to park on the correct side, you may have to do a roundabout journey thro' rush hour traffic to drive 'Down' your road to be parking the correct way, therefore giving you the same problem when you want to leave your parking space to start your journey..I'm now pointing in the wrong direction for my destination..I'll now have to adhere to the inconvenience of ridiculous traffic organisation!!

That's an excuse only a miniscule percentage of drivers can use.

I think the police have better things to deal with that petty "crimes" of this sort, the city being awash with illegal drugs for one.

is it, it is "awash with illegal drugs" - no it isnt mate, get a sense of proportion.

---------- Post added 10-02-2013 at 08:21 ----------

I always thought it was wrong way at night on a street with no street lights then you had to leave your "parking lights on

Archived