Neighbours crying baby..

We have a young couple living next door to us and they had a baby last year, so we expected some noise and crying but this baby seems to cry, or rather scream, for ages.

We hear it sometime several times a night, which is understandable, but during the evenings it just screams constantly. We also hear this couple arguing a lot and they have some serious slanging matches.

Now normally I would go round and speak to them (I actually met one of my oldest friends this way, she moved in next door to me and had post-natal depression so I could hear her crying rather than the baby so I went round, offered to help and we've been friends for almost 15 years)...but this couple made it very clear when they moved in that they didn't want anything to do with us and were almost hostile (as was their family) so I'm reluctant to go round. Plus, it may come across as a bit heartless if I say 'please can you keep your kid quiet as we have to get up for work at 6am every day'

We don't have kids of our own so the sound is actually becoming quite distressing, and I'm not sure how long this might go on for, however a friend of mine has heard the crying and said the baby sounds distressed and maybe we should tell someone.

I'm unsure about how to approach the subject sensitively, and if the couple are struggling then I don't want to ignore the problem. Any suggestions on how to tackle this?

I think if the baby is under 6 months then prolonged periods of crying are quite normal. ..........and with a colicky baby the screams are heart breaking.

If the baby is older I would perhaps contact the local health visitor.

I'v had a colicky baby, it really is awful and can go on for ages. Also causes a lot of stress in the house so may be the reason for the arguing.

But yes, it could be an idea to let social services know, they can offer advice and help if it is needed

If you feel something is not right - call Sheffield safeguarding board. You don't have to tell them who you are just raise your concern.

It could be something or nothing OR it could be one of several seemingly 'minor' concerns that have been made about the child/family and put together - which could mean there is reason for major concern.

Safeguarding is everyone's business. Don't wait until you are sure there is a problem.

https://www.safeguardingsheffieldchildren.org.uk/welcome/contact-us.html

Thanks guys. I think the baby is about 10 months old now. I do know that they have family round regularly which is why I haven't been overly concerned about them being left to cope on their own...however from what I can hear the family visits sometimes cause more friction!

I'll have a look at the safeguarding link now...seeing as I'm awake as the baby is crying yet again! :rolleyes:

Maybe we just need to invest in some decent soundproofing!

My daughter is 16 months now, and she still cries a lot, particularly since the recent arrival of her younger sister! (Very close, I know!)

She still hasn't slept a night through, and was terrible when she was teething especially, between about 6 and 12 months she could scream all night. Shes always been awful to settle at night, and is only just really getting into a decent routine. She still wakes a few times a night, but doesn't scream her head off anymore! I've started putting her to bed when shes awake though, rather than letting her fall asleep downstairs and then taking her up, as it was getting beyond a joke and she wasn't sleeping until 2am. Sometimes she ends up crying herself to sleep for up to an hour, especially if shes not quite at the level of tiredness where she was really ready for bed, hopefully its not hell for the neighbours!

Archived