Is the landline on the way out

Most people now have mobiles and its just as cheap "probably" cheaper than the landline and as I have both was wondering if I need both.

Being honest I have the landline for the family and the benefit of having it is that my mobile signal where I live is poor.

So...the landline is on the decline and I think eventually it will disappear however with the constant rip off 0870 0845 numbers building up would cost a lot more to ring on a mobile.

Your thoughts

Anything you need to call an 0845 number for, you can normally find an alternative number, usually marked as 'for calling from abroad' - this is a landline.

I'm starting to wonder the same, nobody even rings the landline any more, apart from people I don't want to speak to, PPI claims and the like

Most people now have mobiles and its just as cheap "probably" cheaper than the landline and as I have both was wondering if I need both.

Being honest I have the landline for the family and the benefit of having it is that my mobile signal where I live is poor.

So...the landline is on the decline and I think eventually it will disappear however with the constant rip off 0870 0845 numbers building up would cost a lot more to ring on a mobile.

Your thoughts

My daughter thought this until she wanted internet, which is crap and expensive without a land line.

I often have to contact families in my line of work. Getting hold of someone via mobile is a nightmare (besides being more expensive). People swap numbers regularly and forget to update us. On occasion we've been trying to contact them urgently only to find out that every single one of their contact numbers is no longer in use or theirs.

Your thoughts

No, because you will need a line to get your highspeed internet connection on. Wireless is OK, but its not perfect and does require more equipment.

Your copper line will eventually be replaced by fibre optic lines and your telecoms will be an IP based system using the internet. With this tech you are able to take your phone where ever you like and once its connected to the net, your are contactable on the same number.

Landline numbers will cease to be attached to a building and become like our mobile phone numbers and be personal to you. The age of the landline number being different to your mobile number is almost at an end.

So...the landline is on the decline and I think eventually it will disappear

Your thoughts

I assume you are using yours to connect to the internet?

I expect most people one here are doing the same.

I can't see the landline disappearing anytime soon.

I assume you are using yours to connect to the internet?

I expect most people one here are doing the same.

I can't see the landline disappearing anytime soon.

And business isn't about to abandon landlines -on how many mobiles can you transfer a call to another extension?

Archived