Is Michael Gove a danger to our children?

I would not let Michael Gove anywhere near a child of mine. He seems to be more concerned with schooling than education. This latest crusade of his to "reform" what is taught in schools is idealogical revisionism at it's worst.

This article from today's i newspaper will explain further.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/pay-attention-michael-gove-this-is-the-british-history-we-really-need-to-learn-about-8488860.html

It's Mary Seacole and all the other references in the article. He is trying to erase from history the contribution to modern British society made by countless people from other lands.

History is important because it helps us to develop a healthy and true perspective of how society has evolved.

The danger comes from a misrepresentation by neglect being taught to the current generation.

It's Mary Seacole and all the other references in the article. He is trying to erase from history the contribution to modern British society made by countless people from other lands.

Not Gove himself, per se, but the Seacole debate is interesting. She had nowhere near the affect on history that Florence Nightingale had, and to try and build her into a black equivalent is silly.

She shouldn't be. She's a minor historical figure who just happens to fit the bill of appeasing some people's post-colonial guilt. It's silly.

I criticise Black History month for the same reasons. Nobody at school says "it's black history month, so let's all get out our new books and look at Idi Amin".

Nobody at school says "it's black history month, so let's all get out our new books and look at Idi Amin".
PMSL! Will have to remember that one :D

I really don't think the author's analogy of Gvt measures to abridge the Nation's history (necessarily, for self-evident practical reasons of time/cursus content management) as 'Taliban revisionism' has any intelligence.

In that context, the OP appears as needlessly sensationalist as the linked article, tbh.

Archived