Prepay Gas Meter problem

Hi,

Just rented a new house that has a prepay gas meter. It's taking a looot of gas per day something around 5pounds .day and the boiler is set-up like for 6hrs daily. So I called the ScottishPeople Gas or something like that and told them about the problem. They send me a new gas card I did everything that they and the instruction told me to do and still the gas isn't taking less.

Any suggestions ? Cause I think 5pounds per day where the boiler is on like only for 6hrs is a little bit too much don't you think ?

Thanks.

Cheers

Uh, thanks for the answers but the biggest problem is that i don't know if the LandLord will be ok to put a normal monthly payment meter.

I called them like 5 times but they're speaking Scottish and I can't barely understand a thing they saying cause I'm Polish :(

House is 2 bedrooms on 2 floors.

So what do you recommend ?

Call the LandLord ? Or email the company ?

Out of cash and freezing, Matt :)

You could be paying off debt left on the meter from a previous tenant, call them and find if their is any debt owed, if so your landlord needs to clear that off and collect it from the previous tenants, you should not be paying that debt, if landlord refuses just refuse to pay rent until debt is cleared make sure you get everything down on paper though and keep all receipts

You could be paying off debt left on the meter from a previous tenant, call them and find if their is any debt owed, if so your landlord needs to clear that off and collect it from the previous tenants, you should not be paying that debt, if landlord refuses just refuse to pay rent until debt is cleared make sure you get everything down on paper though and keep all receipts

It's nothing to do with the landlord, it's Scottish gas !

When you put credit on the card and put it in the meter have a look and see if it is taking anything off for debt. If so, you are paying a previous tenants bill. This can arise if no money is put in the meter over a few months by the previous tenant or if the property has been stood empty. There is still a monthly rental charge of about eight pounds a month even when no money is put in. When you put credit on the card have a look and see if a portion is being taken off for 'debt' if so that is where the problem lies.

Call Scottish gas and let them know when you started to rent the property.

By all means ask the landlord for help but do not withhold rent payments as you may be opening a can of worms.

So, my friend visit me to call them, he told them all about my problem they apparently told him that will reset everything for me and give me my money back and everything should be ok. So it isn't ! Those SOB didn't do anything, didn't return my money back and the gas is still running out like 5pounds for 6hrs daily.

I decided that I'm going for a monthly bills gas and now is a question.

Can you recommend any good and cheap (I know that's a lot to ask) gas suppliers ?

Cause I know only British Gas company.

Any other advices ?

Thanks

So, my friend visit me to call them, he told them all about my problem they apparently told him that will reset everything for me and give me my money back and everything should be ok. So it isn't ! Those SOB didn't do anything, didn't return my money back and the gas is still running out like 5pounds for 6hrs daily.

I decided that I'm going for a monthly bills gas and now is a question.

Can you recommend any good and cheap (I know that's a lot to ask) gas suppliers ?

Cause I know only British Gas company.

Any other advices ?

Thanks

It will still cost you £60.00 to change over to a meter.

Did you call your gas provider?

Yes like I wrote, I called them like 5 times, then my friend who's a British Native came to me and also called them, they said that the problem is solved but nothing changed since then and I did exactly what they told me to do.

I can't afford to pay 150 pounds monthly on this stupid pre pay thing :/

---------- Post added 25-02-2013 at 21:31 ----------

So, it turns out that nobody gives sh.t about the whole situation, I send the email long as from here to Sydney to the agency that let me the house and they responded only with few words like "yea whatever we call somebody".

The gas starting to running out faster and faster day after day, today it took like 3pounds for only one hour of central heating. I'm really starting to loosing my nerves here, I also think that maybe there's a problem with the windows in the house and the doors ? Even when everything is closed you can hear everything on the outside like the doors and windows are open so maybe the whole heating is going out thru them and thats why I pay so much for the gas ?

But even if isn't it in the Landlords responsibility to put new gaskets before letting the house to someone ?

I'm really desperate and thinking to go to the CBA and council and ask for some help if they/he won't response quickly.

What do you think ?

Anyway thanks for all the answers.

Greets

Archived