Owning a Great Dane

yan

I don't think you are being selfish yan. You are clearly a dog lover and I too would find it hard (probably impossible) to live without one in the house. There are lots of people who have dogs and young children and manage it all very well - you might be one of those. These situations just cannot be generalised. With reference to your previous Greyhound, would another one be an option do you think? I have never owned this breed but read that they are particularly easy to live with, and there are always slightly older, rescue ones available AFAIK. I can imagine it being far easier than a puppy. Is that something worth considering?

Was just about to pipe up!! lol Good advice and summary of our darling Great Danes H_Hounds :hihi:

:hihi: thanks foxyflugel. They are 'darlings' aren't they ;) hehe

Yes they only live for upto 8 or 9 years. I think the average is brought down by the high numbers that die from bloat though maybe. They are at high risk of this and die very quickly if they get it.

I found the rescue I mentioned, it's called daneline. There are a few up for adption atm. Check out this forum too for danes needing homes

http://www.greatdaneowners.co.uk/index.php?/forum/28-great-dane-rescue-and-re-homing/

If you have had a large breed before with a baby around I can't see why a dane wouldn't fit into your lifestyle, it's not selfish at all! :) If you had never owned a large dog before I would say be wary but if you are prepared and experienced then I personally don't think there's any reason to hold back :)

If you get one though, we will have to meet for a dane walk! Foxyflugel, you're invited too :D

Archived