Looking for advice re injury

Yesterday I lost my balance and fell against the corner of a chest of drawers.

I have an awful pain in my side. It is definitely not cracked or broken ribs, it is not in the right place.

If I sit still and don't breathe too deeply it is ok, but the slightest movement, particularly of my right arm is awful (typing this is hell)

There is no point saying go to gp. I know from experience that they will say there is no treatment but rest and painkillers.

My question is, why aren't painkillers working? I have taken strong cocodamol and it just doesn't help.

How many can I take and still be safe?

if painkillers aren't touching your pain then at the very least you should see your gp as soon as you can tomorrow, i think i might be tempted to go to a&e now. if you dont think you've damaged your ribs and you are in that much pain then you may have damaged something important.

I had a similar injury not so long ago (I have a habit of losing my balance - not due to drink cos I don't)

This is very similar pain, not quite as bad as last time. NHS Direct doctor told me there are no treatments for such soft tissue injuries but time and pain relief.

I just wondered if anyone here had a similar injury and which painkillers worked best. I have all the main kinds of painkiller (aspirin, paracetamol, ibuprofen, cocodamol) but obviously not wise to keep taking different ones.

Off to bed now to try to sleep. Maybe there will be some helpful reply by the morning.

If not, thanks anyway.

Yesterday I lost my balance and fell against the corner of a chest of drawers.

I have an awful pain in my side. It is definitely not cracked or broken ribs, it is not in the right place.

If I sit still and don't breathe too deeply it is ok, but the slightest movement, particularly of my right arm is awful (typing this is hell)

There is no point saying go to gp. I know from experience that they will say there is no treatment but rest and painkillers.

My question is, why aren't painkillers working? I have taken strong cocodamol and it just doesn't help.

How many can I take and still be safe?

Why is the pain not in the right place to be rib related?

What strength are the cocodamol are you taking?

Have you tried a nsaid such as ibuprofen? if the injury is muscular (as it sounds with the increase on deep inspiration) it should help with reducing the inflammation

IIRC, the max dose for paracetamol is 4g/24hours so if the coccodamol are **/500 it will be up to 8 in 24 hours.

Why is the pain not in the right place to be rib related?

What strength are the cocodamol are you taking?

Have you tried a nsaid such as ibuprofen? if the injury is muscular (as it sounds with the increase on deep inspiration) it should help with reducing the inflammation

IIRC, the max dose for paracetamol is 4g/24hours so if the coccodamol are **/500 it will be up to 8 in 24 hours.

... and remember you can take NSAIDs (such as Ibuprofen or Voltarol) at the same time as paracetamol or cocodamol (take cocodanol first then two hours later Voltarol, then two hours later more cocodamol then Voltarol two hours after that, repeat until maximum dose reached).

jb

Pain management - how about some breathing exercises (google PAIN BREATHING EXERCISES) heat (hot water bottle or a "heat pad") applied to area, meditation exercises (go to Youtube and search for INNER SPACE MEDITATION). Or gentle massage of the area?

I broke some bones late last year, took one look at the stack of painkillers and switched to more "holistic" pain management techniques like the ones above, which did work?

Do hope you feel better soon Minimo :)

I had to go out today or run out of milk (not a choice, gotta have my cuppa)

That was difficult, but once I was back home and resting it was easier.

This time is not as bad the last occasion.

I have been taking just ibuprofen so far today, but I will look carefully at the doses and combinations suggested.

Thanks very much.

Archived