Who's going to protect the Christians?

Tony

Do Christians need saving?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Do Christians need saving?

• Yes
    • No

The situation wouldn't arise for most of the atheists here, as they consider atheism to mean 'an absence of belief (in God)'.

So, they neither believe in God, nor, disbelieve in God.

I suspect that (like many atheists) Andy just doesn't want to admit that he is an atheist, because the word tends to carry a stigma of negativity (in some people's view).

If he accepts that simply having an absence of belief (which includes not believing in or against God(s) either way) then he would have to admit he is an atheist.

I passed a church that was being demolished the other day, and another around the corner had become an antiques emporium. Hymns are being taken out of school assembly, religious symbols are being taken down and they might have to marry gay couples in church in the future.

Now the bombshell that the Pope just resigned, saying that the job is too much for a frail old man.

On the whole, Christians are nice people, who get on with life, looking after themselves and others in sometimes very generous ways, from forgiveness to more practical ways that save and improve the lives of others.

So, when even a Pope chucks in the towel, who's going to stand up for Christians, their values, and their way of life?

Cliff Richards,:hihi:

Looks about right to me, I don’t know if I believe in God because I have no idea what God is, its definition changes depending on who you talk to

Seeing as a belief is something you must be convinced of to accept it, (a conviction), then in the absence of a clear and unified definition of what a god is, most people would look at existing definitions (which, yes, are all different) and know whether they believe in any of those.

If the answer is "Yes, I believe in that" then they are a theist.

If the answer is "No, I don't believe in any of that" or "I'm not sure if I believe in that" or "I neither believe in it or against it" etc, they are an atheist.

Is it ever possible for an atheist to simply say quietly " I don't believe in God " without deedahing it from the rooftops with sarky comments about fairies. Live and let live for Satan's sake. Though I don't suppose you believe in him either. Hope you don't discover him in the afterlife:hihi:

Is it ever possible for an atheist to simply say quietly " I don't believe in God " without deedahing it from the rooftops with sarky comments about fairies. Live and let live for Satan's sake. Though I don't suppose you believe in him either. Hope you don't discover him in the afterlife:hihi:

Why, has that been going on?

I suspect that (like many atheists) Andy just doesn't want to admit that he is an atheist, because the word tends to carry a stigma of negativity (in some people's view).

Definitely, though it's also coupled with that eternal annoyance - the colloquial misuse of words. Most words have specific meanings but some are used incorrectly. I'm thinking of things like mass / weight and "ignorant" here. People, I have observed, are often very reluctant to give up their misconceptions even when shown, incontravertably, to be wrong.

Indeed, I used to think I was agnostic until someone on a long deleted thread pointed out I was an atheist. I argued the toss for a bit but, being an open minded sort of guy, checked my facts and realised I was, in fact, atheist.

Didn't care about the "stigma" bit though. No-one likes me anyway.

...Just to make it clear. I'm stating that both implicit atheism and explicit atheism can inspire somebody to do good.

Not really kept up with this discussion(too many pies flying around), but how does atheism itself inspire or motivate somebody to do good?

Is it a case of I don't believe in god, therefore I'm going to help that person out – or is it a case of I empathise with that person, therefore I'm going to help that person (this would be empathy and not necessarily atheism doing the motivating).

Is it atheism or other peoples negative beliefs & behaviours that motivate and inspire atheists to do good(does it all boil down to empathy, reason and not necessarily atheism).

What's ya thoughts?

Seeing as a belief is something you must be convinced of to accept it, (a conviction), then in the absence of a clear and unified definition of what a god is, most people would look at existing definitions (which, yes, are all different) and know whether they believe in any of those.

If the answer is "Yes, I believe in that" then they are a theist.

If the answer is "No, I don't believe in any of that" or "I'm not sure if I believe in that" or "I neither believe in it or against it" etc, they are an atheist.

That would make me an athiest agnostic thiest which would be silly.

So I will stick to being ignostic.

---------- Post added 15-02-2013 at 14:11 ----------

Not really kept up with this discussion(too many pies flying around), but how does atheism itself inspire or motivate somebody to do good?

Someone with a belief in God is about to blow himself up along with many other people, but all of a sudden ceases to believe in Gods existence, and thinks, crap what I am doing, I don’t want to die and so walks down the road and helps an old lady over the road. Something he was going to do until he became an atheist. :)

That would make me an athiest agnostic thiest which would be silly.

So I will stick to being ignostic.

Which part would make you a theist?

EDIT: You do realise that being ignostic doesn't make you exempt from being a theist or atheist?

Someone with a belief in God is about to blow himself up along with many other people, but all of a sudden ceases to believe in Gods existence, and thinks, crap what I am doing, I don’t want to die and so walks down the road and helps an old lady over the road. Something he was going to do until he became an atheist. :)

It may have been something he was going to do until he became an atheist, but his final decision sounds like it was inspired by a sense of self preservation, which will have taken priority after his sense of religious duty/honour had been diminished.

Archived