Who's going to protect the Christians?

Tony

Do Christians need saving?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Do Christians need saving?

• Yes
    • No

assuming his motivation for the suicide bombing was religious, it would be fair to say that the act would be motivated by his belief in God.

If he suddenly becomes atheist in the sense that he ceases to have a belief in God, then it's not the case that his new decision to not do the suicide bombing, is motivated by atheism (a simple absense of belief cannot motivate anything).

Rather, the preceeding religiously motivated intent to bomb, has ceased to be- it's original motivation, a belief in God (obviously in combination with other beliefs, as a belief in God on it's own would not be sufficient cause to motivate a bombing) is no longer operating.

As to why he helps an old lady across the street- I'm not sure what the cause of that is- maybe he's just a nice guy? But, again, it most certainly can't be his atheism, as, an absence of belief can't cause anything.

Clearly his desire to help the old lady was prompted by his sudden realisation that God did not exist which allowed him to do the things he wanted to do and not the things God wanted him to do.

Clearly his desire to help the old lady was prompted by his sudden realisation that God did not exist which allowed him to do the things he wanted to do and not the things God wanted him to do.

No. He had a problem running around in his mind - probably caused because of empathy. Because that problem was causing him grief, he solved the problem by helping the old lady cross the road.

Now had he still been extremely religious - and that old lady was a blatant lesbian or a member of an opposing religion - he might have offered 50 pts for the first person to run her over. The empathy went out of the window.

No. He had a problem running around in his mind - probably caused because of empathy. Because that problem was causing him grief, he solved the problem by helping the old lady cross the road.

Now had he still been extremely religious - and that old lady was a blatant lesbian or a member of an opposing religion - he might have offered 50 pts for the first person to run her over. The empathy went out of the window.

But she wasn't a lesbian she was just an old lady that was helped by a born again atheist. :)

That’s right but until I know what God is I wouldn't know which one I was so Ignostic is the correct term.

Like I said (which you chose to ignore and for some reason said the things in my post would make you both a theist and atheist) you could look at all the existing definitions of God(s) and decide if you believe in any of those. The rest of the world doesn't have to agree on a definition for you to work out if you have a belief or not.

Why don't you have a go at answeting my questions for once?

---------- Post added 15-02-2013 at 20:52 ----------

Worst

logic

ever

"Ah, God doesn't exist! That prompts me to go help this old lady!"

So even if your statement made any sense, where does the inspiration come into it?

Like I said (which you chose to ignore and for some reason said the things in my post would make you both a theist and atheist) you could look at all the existing definitions of God(s) and decide if you believe in any of those. The rest of the world doesn't have to agree on a definition for you to work out if you have a belief or not.

Why don't you have a go at answeting my questions for once?

God has been described to me as everything that exists, a manifestation of human emotions, an idol that is worshipped and all these things exist, so I must be a theist.

But God has also been described as a perfect being, omnipotent, omniscient originator and ruler of the universe, which is clearly nonsense so making me an atheist.

So until we arrive at one definition of God then I can only really be an ignostic.

---------- Post added 15-02-2013 at 21:12 ----------

Worst

logic

ever

"Ah, God doesn't exist! That prompts me to go help this old lady!"

So even if your statement made any sense, where does the inspiration come into it?

He had no intension of helping the old lady until he became an atheist; ergo atheism motivated him into helping the old lady.

God has been described to me as everything that exists, a manifestation of human emotions, an idol that is worshipped and all these things exist, so I must be a theist.

But God has also been described as a perfect being, omnipotent, omniscient originator and ruler of the universe, which is clearly nonsense so making me an atheist.

So until we arrive at one definition of God then I can only really be an ignostic..

We're talking about the 2nd type of God- the clues in the thread title.

In which case, as you consider the notion of such a God to be nonsense, you presumably believe He doesn't exist?

In which case you're an anti-theist.

(If you simply lacked a belief in God, you'd then be an atheist, but you do have a belief about God i.e. that he doesn't exist)

We're talking about the 2nd type of God- the clues in the thread title.

In which case, as you consider the notion of such a God to be nonsense, you presumably believe He doesn't exist?

In which case you're an anti-theist.

(If you simply lacked a belief in God, you'd then be an atheist, but you do have a belief about God i.e. that he doesn't exist)

You started off talking about Christians then started talking about God, and the concept of God doesn't belong to the Christians.

And even Christians don’t agree on the definition of God.

You started off talking about Christians then started talking about God, and the concept of God doesn't belong to the Christians.

And even Christians don’t agree on the definition of God.

The majority of the people on this thread are talking about the judeo-christian concept of God.

You recently stated what, if I were being cynical, could be seen as an attempt to take the discusion off course i.e.

God has been described to me as everything that exists, a manifestation of human emotions...

No one here is talking about that kind of 'god'.

Archived