Who's going to protect the Christians?

Tony

Do Christians need saving?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Do Christians need saving?

• Yes
    • No

The majority of the people on this thread are talking about the judeo-christian concept of God.

You recently stated what, if I were being cynical, could be seen as an attempt to take the discusion off course i.e.

No one here is talking about that kind of 'god'.

Really would help discussion flow if you read the post being answered, it would also save a lot of arguing.

No- atheism is an absence of belief.

You're talking about 'anti-theism'- a positive belief that God doesn't exist.

There are 2 definitions of atheism in some dictionaries, one of which is basically anti-theism, but, on multiple other threads here, and, worldwide, atheists as a whole have steadfastly insisted that the correct definition of 'atheism' is, 'an absence of belief'; so that's the one I'm using.

Worldwide would imply everyone and I don't think it’s the job of atheists to define the word.

I doubt non believers ran round shouting they were atheist, it would have been used by the believer to describe non believers, so I imagine the word was first used and defined by believers. At one point it was even used by two separate groups of believers to describe each other because they both believed in different Gods and neither side recognised the Gods of the other group.

Like I said (which you chose to ignore and for some reason said the things in my post would make you both a theist and atheist) you could look at all the existing definitions of God(s) and decide if you believe in any of those. The rest of the world doesn't have to agree on a definition for you to work out if you have a belief or not.

Why don't you have a go at answeting my questions for once?

Worldwide would imply everyone and I don't think it’s the job of atheists to define the word

You really are amazing.

May I remind you of you saying

What six45ive has said makes sense to me, I don't understand what you find so confusing[/Quote]

and what did six45ive say? I'll remind you;

in a discussion with atheists about atheism there is no other definition than the one that the atheists understand and use[/Quote]

So either you were deliberately trolling in the post in which you said to me

What six45ive has said makes sense[/Quote] or you said it because you have a personal problem with me and you were just trying to wind me up.

Btw I'm about to go and pose an open question on the Gay marriage thread - it may be familiar to you, just thought you might fancy actually answering it today, new day and all that.

You really are amazing.

May I remind you of you saying

and what did six45ive say? I'll remind you;

So either you were deliberately trolling in the post in which you said to me or you said it because you have a personal problem with me and you were just trying to wind me up.

Btw I'm about to go and pose an open question on the Gay marriage thread - it may be familiar to you, just thought you might fancy actually answering it today, new day and all that.

n a discussion with atheists about atheism there is no other definition than the one that the atheists understand and use

:huh:

What in my post contradicts that? and it is a very small part of a post I understood.

Makes sense and understood are different to, I agree.

What in my post contradicts that?[/Quote]

Is that a legitimate question? Really?

You can't see what's contradictory about the post I made?

and it is a very small part of a post I understood[/Quote]

Maybe you should be more specific about which parts of very large coversations you agree with then in future.

Makes sense and understood are different to, I agree.

Oh yes the famous Mr Smith twisting things to avoid acknowledging you have made a monumentous error - well I am shocked :suspect: you've tried to employ that method of worming your way out of something.

Really would help discussion flow if you read the post being answered, it would also save a lot of arguing.

Worldwide would imply everyone and I don't think it’s the job of atheists to define the word.

I doubt non believers ran round shouting they were atheist, it would have been used by the believer to describe non believers, so I imagine the word was first used and defined by believers. At one point it was even used by two separate groups of believers to describe each other because they both believed in different Gods and neither side recognised the Gods of the other group.

I'll make this very simple then-

the definition of 'atheism' I, and several actual atheists here, are using, is-

"lacking belief (in God)"

If you let us know your definition, then we can either adopt it, or, in each post, make it clear which of the 2 defintions we are refering to; thus cutting down hugely on the 'arguing' you say you don't like.

Please don't go the 'people use many different definitions...' question avoidance route, as 1. we know that & 2. it would be a strawman, as:

the question is "what definition of atheism are you using"?

If you let us know your definition, then we can either adopt it, or, in each post, make it clear which of the 2 defintions we are refering to; thus cutting down hugely on the 'arguing' you say you don't like.

Please don't go the 'people use many different definitions...' question avoidance route, as 1. we know that & 2. it would be a strawman, as:

What is God?

---------- Post added 16-02-2013 at 14:42 ----------

Is that a legitimate question? Really?

You can't see what's contradictory about the post I made?

Maybe you should be more specific about which parts of very large coversations you agree with then in future.

Oh yes the famous Mr Smith twisting things to avoid acknowledging you have made a monumentous error - well I am shocked :suspect: you've tried to employ that method of worming your way out of something.

Still lost me, I understood a post that made sense, I at no time said I agreed with it.

What is God?[/Quote]

You know if I asked you 'Do you want a cup of tea' would you answer me or would you start talking about tea production for five days?

Why do you seem utterly devoid of the ability of answering a direct question?

Dave asked you a question, your counter question is irrelevant to the answer of that question.

Still lost me, I understood a post that made sense, I at no time said I agreed with it.

We're back to that again are we, I understand your position/I think you have good reasons but that doesn't mean I agree with it. Come on for once, just once, have a proper debate with someone without deliberately trying to twist things.

What is God?

The Christian God.

So, with that in mind, I'll repost, and, hopefully you'll feel able to give an answer-

The Christian God.

So, with that in mind, I'll repost, and, hopefully you'll feel able to give an answer-

Does that mean everyone apart from Christians, Muslims and Jews are atheists?

Does that mean everyone apart from Christians, Muslims and Jews are atheists?

No. why would you think that?

You asked what definition of God I was using for the purpose of the question I asked- my answer, the Christian God. Once we sort out your inability to define atheism, it's fairly straightforward to adapt and apply it to other forms of God.

So, for the 3rd time of reposting the question-

Archived