Who's going to protect the Christians?

Tony

Do Christians need saving?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Do Christians need saving?

• Yes
    • No

Lockjaw Just a quick reply to the now closed thread,and then i've done with it.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1126923&page=4

No of course i wasn't being arrogant.

I disagree that we should have ditched the OT not everything in it should be dismissed.

It contains many instructive,poetic and meaningful passages.Our laws in society today have been founded from it.

Apart from that the history of the Jews has been kept to provide information and some insight about Jewish culture at the time of Jesus, and to show reference to his ancestry.

Thanks for the reply Janie.

Yeah, I respect all that & don't necessarily disagree with most of it. I was just pointing out that one does not have to be a believer to draw conclusions from the story you posted.

I could ask which "society" you are referring to and more importantly how other societies generated their laws but that would be perpetuating the other thread so I won't.

Thanks again for the reply.

I don’t know if I believe in God because I have no idea what God is, its definition changes depending on who you talk to

What is God?

I don’t have problem with the definition of atheist, it’s the definition of God that is the problem.

Since I have no idea what God is or can do how on earth could I possibly know if these things are god?

by definition if something is worshipped it is a God.

Are you feeling okay :suspect:?

So the proof of Gods existence is in its definition.

God is simply that which is worshipped according to the definition.

Okay, you've come this far, now post #181 applies...

the next question you have to ask yourself is, do I believe that to be a god? If so, then you are a theist. If you're not convinced that those things combined are a god, then refer to the next section...

it just means that you aren't convinced that that definition is a god.

Is a Christian an atheist because he/she doesn't believe the definition of Vishnu to be a god?

No.

According to the dictionary, if it’s worshipped it must be a God which it as nothing to do with be believing its a God.

There are many dictionaries with many varying definitions of many things. I've never seen one where the only definition of a god is "something which is worshiped".

Theism is about belief, so to be a theist you must believe. Post #181 applies.

There are many dictionaries with many varying definitions of many things. I've never seen one where the only definition of a god is "something which is worshiped".

Theism is about belief, so to be a theist you must believe. Post #181 applies.

And that’s the problem there are many definitions so until there is a unified definition I can only be ignostic.

No, there only needs to be one definition, which YOU believe to be a god.

Otherwise (if your post was true) there would be no theists.

I don't know what God is so how can I know if I believe in it. The dictionary defines it as anything that is worshipped and if that’s correct then everyone should be a theist, because we all know people worship stuff.

I don't know what God is so how can I know if I believe in it. The dictionary defines it as anything that is worshipped and if that’s correct then everyone should be a theist, because we all know people worship stuff.

Firstly, post #181 applies.

Secondly, which dictionary? (link and quote if possible)

Thirdly, not all people worship stuff

Firstly, post #181 applies.

Secondly, which dictionary? (link and quote if possible)

Thirdly, not all people worship stuff

Roots, I have massive respect for you, your intelligence and your contributions to this type of discussion but may I humbly refer you to post 191, mostly for reason 2?

Come on, don't be facetious. :) It's a genuine question.

Most Christians seem to live a nice quiet life that's more aligned with helping their neighbours, not hindering them.

Isn't that worth protecting?

What possible evidence do you have for that? Some of the most selfish people I know are deeply religious.

Archived