Who's going to protect the Christians?

Tony

Do Christians need saving?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Do Christians need saving?

• Yes
    • No

The same question could apply to why Muslims need protecting from non Halal meat?????????? It is an issue. Cristian or not people need to be protected from being misled and sold food that has been ritualy slaughtered, they may not like to think that an animal has had its neck cut without being stunned first. It a question of protecting animals from cruel Islamic rituals.

I would need protecting from this...think we all would.

I can define many things that exist but I have no idea what they are. So one of the things that I can define might be God, but until you can define God I can't associate the things I can define with the three letter word God.

My Dog has a toy, she knows what it looks like and what it feel like but has no idea what it is called, the dog believes this toy exists because she plays with it, my dog does not lack a belief in this toy just because she doesn't know what it’s called.

Your dog doesn't believe it to be a toy though. She just knows the thing is there. She hasn't accepted or been convinced of what a toy is.

If this toy was God and I asked her if she had a belief in God, if she could respond she would likely say “I don’t know what is God”,

Which isn't an answer to the question, it's a response which asks another question.

if I then described God she would associate God with the toy and say “yes I have belief in God”, prior to knowing it was God she still believed it existed so didn’t lack belief.[/quock]

No, her belief wasn't in God, her belief was in the object, she didn't believe it to be God, she hadn't accepted it to be God. Because it hadn't been defined, and as you agreed, you can't form a belief in something unless you know the definition.

He had definition of something that he knows to exist, so he can't lack a belief in that which he knows to exist. He simply had no idea what you were talking about when you asked if he lacked belief in Tar, Tar is just a word that describes something that exists. Everyone that as seen it knows it exists even though they don't know what it’s called. At no time do they lack a belief in its existence they are just ignorant of it name. Asking me If I believe in God is meaningless until you can define God, because I simply wouldn’t know if I believe it exists. For all I know I have already seen and touched God.

Belief is something which is there or it is not. If You have a belief, you know that you have this belief, because it is something which you have been convinced of and accept. If someone asks you if you believe in something, the answer is either yes or no.

Initially the answer would have to be "no", because the belief will not have formed yet, it would be absent.

After hearing the definition, if it is accepted, the belief is formed. Then they can say "yes" to the question.

"I didn't believe in one, because I didn't know what it was. Know I know, I can believe in it."

Your problem is that you think Tar is a three letter word when in actual fact Tar is a dark, oily, viscous material, consisting mainly of hydrocarbons. People know that this material exists but may lack a word to describe it, they believe it exists despite not knowing what it’s called.

No, I think tar is an undefined thing (in your example).

Your problem is that you've subscribed to something (ignosticism) which, according to the link you gave, contradicts your belief about atheism, so while ever you try to believe that both are correct, your logic will not add up and you will remain in this state of flux.

Which bit of it do you need protecting from?

---------- Post added 19-02-2013 at 13:41 ----------

He is Jewish though.

What does that have to do with the question I asked?

Y

Belief is something which is there or it is not. If You have a belief, you know that you have this belief, because it is something which you have been convinced of and accept. If someone asks you if you believe in something, the answer is either yes or no.

Initially the answer would have to be "no", because the belief will not have formed yet, it would be absent.

After hearing the definition, if it is accepted, the belief is formed. Then they can say "yes" to the question.

"I didn't believe in one, because I didn't know what it was. Know I know, I can believe in it."

Yes, if I believe that something exists but use a different name for it than you use, I still believe it exists even though you identify it with a different name. So if you asked me “do you lack a belief in tripoopstick?”, my answer would be “I don't know what’s a tripoopstick?” You would then describe it and I would say ha yes I call it God.

I always had the belief in it but didn’t know it by the name you use.

Hello Mr Fisk, would you mind popping over to the other thread about gay marriage and addressing these points here?

I appreciate you haven't been on for a while but I would hate for you to forget to answer my questions.

Which bit of it do you need protecting from?

---------- Post added 19-02-2013 at 13:41 ----------

What does that have to do with the question I asked?

Why are you getting irate, you know what it has to do with the question or at least how it is related. You asked him why christians need protecting from halal meat, i pointed out that he/she said they are Jewish therefore they kill the meat in exactly the same way as muslims and he/she won't be able to come up with an answer.

Archived