Who's going to protect the Christians?

Tony

Do Christians need saving?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Do Christians need saving?

• Yes
    • No

Good question, but perhaps it's worth us looking at in a different way, one that's not so simplistic.

For example, newts are protected from new road building, and the world gains an incremental biodiversity benefit. Nobody expects you to adopt a newt, or become a newt, or take on any newty characteristics. You can just sit back and be glad that newts are there, glowing in your vicarious deed.

In the same way, modern Christians on the whole are a pleasant bunch, do good things, and contribute to the overall good of society in a way that simply having no Christians wouldn't.

So the question that presents is; are Christians worth preserving and nurturing for the greater good?

(Even Mr Bloom can give an analogue answer to that one if he tries hard enough) :love:

Funnily enough there's a Christian living in our pond.

As I understand it, christians and the church are pretty much inseperable?

Certainly, the OP was refering to the closing of churches, most of which are part of the established organised tradition which does include bishops etc.

As I mentioned above, none of the threats the OP mentioned, seemed to be threats against people just being Christian.

Like I said before- a person can be a Christian, be nice to his/her neighbours, have all the other Christian values etc, and be unaffected by churches closing, hymns not being sung in schools etc.

I've no problem with Christians- as long as they're not the type who feel the need to inflict their beliefs or traditions on others: I've defended them many times in threads on this board.

And, unlike several on this thread, my experience has been that, on the whole, Christians do tend to be nicer people than most atheists I encounter (obviously I'm talking there your average non-fundamentalist Christian).

And, I would totally oppose any attempt to attack Christians and their rights to worship/believe- I just don't think that churches closing, moves to allow gay marriages, removal of hymns from school assemblies etc, are attacks on Christians.

Whoever takes over as Pope would hopefully be progressive enough to allow females to become priests, allow priests to marry and recognize the rights of abortion under certain circumstances.

That would be far enough for now.

Gay church marriages will never happen. That would only result in empty and abandoned churches

---------- Post added 12-02-2013 at 20:30 ----------

Funnily enough there's a Christian living in our pond.

You aughta toss a Muslim in there with him and see what comes out 9 months from now.

Are they nicer people because they are Christians?

What have you found that, in your experience, makes Christians "nicer people"?

I'm with you Chris, many atrocities are done in the name of religion by people who profess to be religious. I've been an atheist from age 13 and don't believe that precludes people from being less nice than Christians or any other religious sect

I'm with you Chris, many atrocities are done in the name of religion by people who profess to be religious. I've been an atheist from age 13 and don't believe that precludes people from being less nice than Christians or any other religious sect

Like I said, I was specifically excluding religious nutters who are into atrocities

I've no problem with Christians- as long as they're not the type who feel the need to inflict their beliefs or traditions on others: I've defended them many times in threads on this board.

And, unlike several on this thread, my experience has been that, on the whole, Christians do tend to be nicer people than most atheists I encounter (obviously I'm talking there your average non-fundamentalist Christian).

And, I would totally oppose any attempt to attack Christians and their rights to worship/believe- I just don't think that churches closing, moves to allow gay marriages, removal of hymns from school assemblies etc, are attacks on Christians.

Are they nicer people because they are Christians?

What have you found that, in your experience, makes Christians "nicer people"?

Firstly, like I said, this is just my experience- I'm not trying to say that all christians are 'nicer' than all atheists, it's just that I've noticed that christians tend to have a definite ethos of being nice to others, and, actively do things to bring that about.

Maybe it's cos I do community work, a lot of which is in youth groups, the vast majority of which, if you trace back to the people providing the work to find funds and run the groups, tend, in this country, to be christian.

That also applies to scouts/guides etc. In my experience, atheists don't sem to set up groups to provide such services. When atheists set up groups, it generally seems to be about promoting atheism, or providing information about atheism, or, tackling what they see as problematic issues deriving from religion.

I've just not seen much in the way of practical community provision coming from atheists, whereas christians do a lot in that direction (in fact, from what I can see, if they ceased to do so, youth community provision in deprived communities would drop to even lower levels than it is now).

What?:confused::huh: And people of other religions/no religion don't? Not sure what your point is?
Where in his post does he have to talk about other religions? He is asking about Christians with the simple statement that they are generally nice people. No other purpose in mind. there are nice muslims, jews, buddhists. and atheists too. What is YOUR point?

it's just that I've noticed that christians tend to have a definite ethos of being nice to others, and, actively do things to bring that about.

I could agree with that if you used the word "some". Some Christians don't have an ethos of being nice to others. To give an example of my own, when the prostitutes were being murdered in Ipswich, a friend of mine's Christian mother told us that it was a good thing. It was God's plan to teach them a lesson.

A lovely woman. :rolleyes:

Maybe it's cos I do community work

I've worked around volunteer and charity groups in my life too. I've worked in animal welfare, sanctuaries and hospitals - they weren't set up by Christians. Some may have been Christian, I never asked, but it certainly wasn't motivated by it.

However, I can agree that some services are provided by Christian charities. My grandfather recently came out of hospital and a nice Christian group visited and fitted him a handrail so he could stand up when he's getting off the loo.

That also applies to scouts/guides etc.

Baden Powell wasn't a man to admire.

In my experience, atheists don't sem to set up groups to provide such services.

Athiests don't do any volunteer work or help in their community either? Do you hold that position?

When atheists set up groups, it generally seems to be about promoting atheism

You're taking a very odd position here. You've also used the term "set up". I've never set up a group in my life. I have, however, picked litter, walked dogs, raised money for charity, sold raffle tickets for St Luke's. I did all of that without the aim of pushing my unbelief in God.

Where in his post does he have to talk about other religions? He is asking about Christians with the simple statement that they are generally nice people. No other purpose in mind. there are nice muslims, jews, buddhists. and atheists too. What is YOUR point?

Your a bit late to this thread Bucky baby.:) I've already dealt with the reason I made that comment later in the thread. In other words it was a rhetorical question aimed at highlighting the trolling nature of the op.

Archived