Is the world ready for a black pope?

I guess the difference it would make would be a symbolic one, Catholics have never had a black pope.

I don't understand how it can be a symbolic difference, Christians are taught and believe that each and every man/woman and child are equal so in those terms how would the colour of the popes skin make any difference ?

Well Catholicism is one of the world's major religions and as such Catholics enjoy positions of influence which affect you and I.

I don't agree with that, although their is religion still in our country it is not as big as it used to be, so has less control over us and our lives, if you are an atheist how do Catholics influence you ?

I don't agree with that, although their is religion still in our country it is not as big as it used to be, so has less control over us and our lives, if you are an atheist how do Catholics influence you ?

Well as I just said, they're in positions of power everywhere and devout Catholics tend to follow the direction of their Holy Father.

Whilst a black pope might have some novelty value, I can't imagine anytime soon that one from an African country would be championing rights for gays and women, free access to contraception or any consideration of abortion whatsover-these are issues that affect society as a whole. Ps: you need to fix yr tags stingray man, you've misquoted me.

---------- Post added 12-02-2013 at 10:26 ----------

I'd imagine that any Pope who has ministered in a country where a quarter of the population has HIV or AIDS would be quite partial to a bit of prophylactic based modernisation.

He'd probably regard such diseases as god's retribution against sinners.

Well as I just said, they're in positions of power everywhere and devout Catholics tend to follow the direction of their Holy Father.

Whilst a black pope might have some novelty value, I can't imagine anytime soon that one from an African country would be championing rights for gays and women, free access to contraception or any consideration of abortion whatsover-these are issues that affect society as a whole.

Yes but these things you are talking about have already been added to our society, gays can get married women have rights and are equal, their is free contraception and abortion happens, I don't think any of those things have ever had a pope backing them but they happen in our society, yes people that follow religion will agree with the holy father but they only make up a minority and obviously don't have a big enough voice.

Can you imagine if they tried to remove women's rights now, take away the chance of marriage from gays stop abortion and free contraception.... He and his followers would be shown his bike and how to ride it....

Yes but these things you are talking about have already been added to our society, gays can get married women have rights and are equal, their is free contraception and abortion happens, I don't think any of those things have ever had a pope backing them but they happen in our society, yes people that follow religion will agree with the holy father but they only make up a minority and obviously don't have a big enough voice.

Can you imagine if they tried to remove women's rights now, take away the chance of marriage from gays stop abortion and free contraception.... He and his followers would be shown his bike and how to ride it....

I hear what you say, but I think you're slightly missing my point. The Catholic church (and most others) pontificates and preaches on how people should live their lives. Whilst there might be legal access to contraception, abortion, equal rights etc, they still represent an anomaly for many Catholics. A pope who could embrace these prickly issues and preach compromise and acceptance would have a significant effect on the thinking style of Catholics, including those who are in a position to influence our lives.

Personally I believe a pope from an African nation is more likely to lead Catholics on a more conservative path, which will create more disharmony between them and non Catholics.

I hear what you say, but I think you're slightly missing my point. The Catholic church (and most others) pontificates and preaches on how people should live their lives. Whilst there might be legal access to contraception, abortion, equal rights etc, they still represent an anomaly for many Catholics. A pope who could embrace these prickly issues and preach compromise and acceptance would have a significant effect on the thinking style of Catholics, including those who are in a position to influence our lives.

Personally I believe a pope from an African nation is more likely to lead Catholics on a more conservative path, which will more disharmony between them and non Catholics.

I think your missing my point, it has taken a long time to get where we are now and people are if anything selfish and greedy for the most part so my point is I think it would take a hell of a lot more than a black pope to change people's minds about what they want with their life and the freedom they want during their life, they may be able to ask people in power for change but ultimately it's the people that put the votes in that get the change and since religion is a minority now I can't see those changes being implemented to easy, the fact is democracy has destroyed religion, rational thinking has hit the masses and people don't want to be told what they can and can't do, this makes the difference like I say can you imagine a pope trying to remove women's rights through people in power, do you really think they could put that forward... I highly doubt they would ever have a chance especially in england.

Personally I believe a pope from an African nation is more likely to lead Catholics on a more conservative path, which will more disharmony between them and non Catholics.

Couldn't agree more. Leave it as it is..status quo. Corruption, scandal after scandal is causing it to crumble from within...I don't have a prob with that.

I can't see what the problem is. What difference does it make as to what 'colour' you are ... are there rules with God? Apparently, he invented us and as far as I know, he invented us in Africa.

I personally don't believe in God or any of that rubbish, but each to their own.

I like the idea of the Pope though, just as I like the idea of Father Christmas or the Easter Bunny ... it gives you an element of ... don't know the word ... sustainability?

Go for it BF! It'd be great to have the Pope on SF! Respect! :thumbsup:

Archived