Is the world ready for a black pope?

like I say can you imagine a pope trying to remove women's rights through people in power, do you really think they could put that forward... I highly doubt they would ever have a chance especially in england.

I'm not at all suggesting they'd take want to do anything like that, but they would influence progress going forward.

Like you said, it's taken many years to get to where we are now, the snail pace of change has been influenced by theologians of all persuasions. Despite what the general population might believe, I maintain that policy makers who are Catholic are going to drag their feet over the issues you highlight, influenced by the Pope of the time.

---------- Post added 12-02-2013 at 11:13 ----------

Go for it BF! It'd be great to have the Pope on SF! Respect! :thumbsup:

Cheers Alco, the closest I got to the Vatican was a solitary Valentines weekend in Rome, miserable and dejected I passed the time watching Sky Sports and gorging on Viennetta :hihi:

I'm not at all suggesting they'd take want to do anything like that, but they would influence progress going forward.

Like you said, it's taken many years to get to where we are now, the snail pace of change has been influenced by theologians of all persuasions. Despite what the general population might believe, I maintain that policy makers who are Catholic are going to drag their feet over the issues you highlight, influenced by the Pope of the time.

Yes undoubtedly they cause a stink saying this is not the will of god etc.., I know that in countries such as Africa where their is a large religious following still that word from religious leaders can take affect, but then I wonder how America is so different as a large portion of Americans believe in god yet Americans are hugely different in their ideas of god, isn't it funny that famine follows religion in some countries yet in America god is money for the most

but then I wonder how America is so different as a large portion of Americans believe in god yet Americans are hugely different in their ideas of god, isn't it funny that famine follows religion in some countries yet in America god is money for the most

I don't think America is that different, they seem to place great store on the religious conviction of their politicians, or at least it's never seen as a negative.

I think you're right though in what you say about Africa, evangelising is a great motivator for the poverty stricken, you'd think people who were impoverished would have less reason to 'praise the Lord'.

isn't it the case that, although the USA as a whole seems much more comfortable with openly religious displays, they have only ever elected one catholic president?

i am not religious, but would love to see a black pope, but then i'd like to see a female one as well

---------- Post added 12-02-2013 at 11:13 ----------

Cheers Alco, the closest I got to the Vatican was a solitary Valentines weekend in Rome, miserable and dejected I passed the time watching Sky Sports and gorging on Viennetta :hihi:

How the hell can you have 'a solitary Valentines weekend' in Rome!? :huh:

Viennetta? ... what you on about!? Are you stupid? :)

Just get the Papal hat (You can buy them through Pay-pal) and stand on the balcony and wave a bit, looking meaningful and angst ridden, eating a properly produced ice-cream confection. You can't go wrong ... trust me on this.

Schwartzenegger XVI was never going to last long as the Pope (due mainly to his floppy red eye and the falling into molten metal incident), as I told him so on many occasions. Strangely, he never answered my phone calls ... probably down to the molten metal causing larynxular difficulties ... i'll put it down as that anyway.

I already consider you to be the new Pope ... to prove it, I've just bought a Hagen-Daz ... maybe it'd've helped Arnie's bionic Adams apple? :)

How the hell can you have 'a solitary Valentines weekend' in Rome!? :huh:
Mourn for me Alco, it wasn't how I intended it :cry:

Viennetta? ... what you on about!? Are you stupid? :)

It was a shameless cry for help :hihi:

Just get the Papal hat (You can buy them through Pay-pal) and stand on the balcony and wave a bit, looking meaningful and angst ridden, eating a properly produced ice-cream confection. You can't go wrong ... trust me on this.

I'm currently standing naked on the balcony of Boyfriday Towers, with my flat cap on, exalting to the bleak winter sky and dripping in Waitrose Mango Sorbet..apparently the banshees of Fulwood like that kind of thing.

Schwartzenegger XVI was never going to last long as the Pope (due mainly to his floppy red eye and the falling into molten metal incident), as I told him so on many occasions. Strangely, he never answered my phone calls ... probably down to the molten metal causing larynxular difficulties ... i'll put it down as that anyway.

Hasta la vista baby.

I already consider you to be the new Pope ... to prove it, I've just bought a Hagen-Daz ... maybe it'd've helped Arnie's bionic Adams apple? :)

I'm deeply moved and shall volunteer my candidacy forthwith. Now..I wonder if my elevation to Pope will help me get a burd? :suspect:

Archived