Is the world ready for a black pope?

The new Pope should simply be the best person for the job.

The colour of the applicant should be irrelevant.

Yes I do think a black Pope would be accepted worldwide.

Sadly, as the Vatican is in Rome, as soon as a black pope comes out on his balcony and, erm do what ever popes do, he'll probably be met with a load of monkey chants. It seems quite the in thing in italy at the moment.

Could this really ever happen? Americans have a black president, are Catholics ready for a black pope?

Yes is the short answer.

And once we have a black pope to go with the black president of the world er USA, we can all stop bleating on about equality and discrimination and get on with tings. ;)

And once we have a black pope to go with the black president of the world er USA, we can all stop bleating on about equality and discrimination and get on with tings. ;)

I know your post is playful lil-minx, but isn't it ironic that a black pope (from the African sub continent) is more likely to exacerbate discrimination than challenge it!

---------- Post added 12-02-2013 at 14:27 ----------

...he'll probably be met with a load of monkey chants. It seems quite the in thing in italy at the moment.
If there was one good thing to come out of it, it might encourage Italians to address that kind of behaviour.

I agree, ironically a black pope would appeal to the conservatives who will be members of the conclave. The more liberal might see it as a retrograde step in the development of the faith.

Boring...now a black female pope that would raise a few eyebrows

Following on from Harleyman's comment on another thread, it appears such a proposal is being taken seriously by the bookmakers.

Cardinals Turkson and Arinze are being strongly tipped for the hot seat, apart from apparently being first class theologians, the Catholic church recognises the strength of the faith in African countries.

http://news.sky.com/story/1050889/pope-resigns-frontrunners-emerge-for-role

Could this really ever happen? Americans have a black president, are Catholics ready for a black pope?

The faithful better be prepared for fried chicken coming on the menu and Stevie Wonder heralding the papal address!

Yes.

Especially if he can do his sermons in rap form.

Now that would be cool.

Mourn for me Alco, it wasn't how I intended it :cry:

It was a shameless cry for help :hihi:

I'm currently standing naked on the balcony of Boyfriday Towers, with my flat cap on, exalting to the bleak winter sky and dripping in Waitrose Mango Sorbet..apparently the banshees of Fulwood like that kind of thing.

Hasta la vista baby.

I'm deeply moved and shall volunteer my candidacy forthwith. Now..I wonder if my elevation to Pope will help me get a burd? :suspect:

:hihi::hihi: I like the idea of the nakedness thing (so long as you're not pointing in my direction). 'Area 51 and a half' has video cameras on its periphery and one of my friends is a lawyer. Be warned.

I'd deffo go for Popeship if I were you ... Schwartzenegger was a pussy and would never have been accepted in Fulwood (or Crookes for that matter) ... too muscular and all that sort of stuff. Less of the Mango though if you want to gain votes. Burps are not nice ... mango or not, it'll hardly elevate yourself to Papalcy.

(I don't understand this ... 'papalcy' isn't recognised by my spellcheck or in my dictionary (the very big Collins one), although I'm pretty sure it's a word. Is it 'popelcy'? Have to go and see if the 'c' is within the holy see ... probably at the sea-side. Skegvegas, knowing my luck). Jesus!

Archived