Working for free breached laws banning slavery and forced labour

WeX

One of many:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/dec/09/cait-reilly-interview-poundland-workfare

I'd be interested if anyone can find a link which explains why she's now working at Morrisons - guilt? It is part time after all, so she can carry on at her precious pen museum.

Where does it say she's stacking shelves at Morrisons. Got another link?

One of many:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/dec/09/cait-reilly-interview-poundland-workfare

I'd be interested if anyone can find a link which explains why she's now working at Morrisons - guilt? It is part time after all, so she can carry on at her precious pen museum.

All this link tells me is that she is working at Morrison's. She could be a manger, clerical or admin staff. It does not say she is a shelf stacker, so what good did being a shelf stacker do if she's not a shelf stacker now?

If she is employed doing other things in the Supermarket, it's probably because of her other skills, voluntary work and qualifications.

One of many:

it might only be part time because thats all that was on offer ?if this then leads on to full time work you should be praising her on her stance against the establishment :D (we need a few more like her in this country)

All this link tells me is that she is working at Morrison's. She could be a manger, clerical or admin staff. It does not say she is a shelf stacker, so what good did being a shelf stacker do if she's not a shelf stacker now?

If she is employed doing other things in the Supermarket, it's probably because of her other skills, voluntary work and qualifications.

Its called power of deduction.

The article clearly refers to a green uniform and £400 per month.

Green uniform for management and clerical jobs in M's - NO

£400 a month salary for management and clerical - very doubtful

Even on part time hours its clearly minimum wage work.

Its called power of deduction.

In other words, you don't know.

But it suits a convenient narrative to argue that her shelf stacking experience in Poundland prepared her for a similar role at Morrisons. Right?

Desperate stuff. Really desperate.

But it suits a convenient narrative to argue that her shelf stacking experience in Poundland prepared her for a similar role at Morrisons. Right?

It helped my nephew secure a full time job at home bargains, he was very happy to be given work experience and even happier now he as a job.

It helped my nephew secure a full time job at home bargains, he was very happy to be given work experience and even happier now he as a job.

Good for him. I don't think anybody is arguing here against the benefits of work experience in general.

Good for him. I don't think anybody is arguing here against the benefits of work experience in general.

That seems exactly what they are arguing against. She got work experience in retail, she now works part time in retail, not shelf stacking, she has moved on to checkouts these days. (whether the pen museum benefits from her largesse these days is unknown)

What's desprate. What are you talking about.

No I dont know for certain but on the evidence presented it pretty bloody obvious her position is hardly senior. She wears one of the standard green uniforms and is on minimum wage. Not exactly going to be a store director is she.

I really dont get your point.

Archived