Working for free breached laws banning slavery and forced labour

WeX

This is more of a problem to the government and their Back-to-Work scheme.

It seems like they didn't sort out the paperwork before they introduced it. As claiming benefits is voluntary if they'd made an agreement to do unpaid work when required part of the terms and conditions for those who choose to claim then I doubt this issue would have cropped up. Hopefully they will sort out the forms so there is proper clarity on the issue in the future.

This has just popped up on the BBC's news feed.

Graduate Cait Reilly wins Court of Appeal claim that working for free breached laws banning slavery and forced labour.

What will this do to internships in the UK?

Nothing- assuming that the Supreme Court reverses the Court of Appeal.

Good luck to the rest of her career which she's probably ruined now. Would any employer risk taking on someone like her?

I disagree with you here. I agree with her taking the government to court over this one. Its not the usual skiver trying to get out of doing some graft. She had some voluntary work lined up that would help her gain vaulble skills. So she should not have to go to poundland.

The whole purpose of this poundland work is those that are on benefits to give them vital skills rather than them vegitating on their brighthouse sofa watching Jeremy Kyle.

I think the concept is good but it should allow flexibility for those that one voluntary experience elsewhere to gain those skills.

There is a massive difference between an internship where someone chooses to work for free in an industry of interest to them in order to gain experience for a future career, and being forced to work for a large successful business or risk having your already pitiful benefits stripped from you.

If the government wanted people to work for their dole to give them experience and incentive then they would send them to small local business & charities that really need the help. Instead they are just benefiting the corporations that line their pockets by providing them with free labour.

Archived