Working for free breached laws banning slavery and forced labour

WeX

Really don't understand why all the free-marketeers dry up and wither on this issue. On the 'Occupy' threads everyone was a raging Capitalist, and now the state is forcing people to labour against the free-market, and subsidising that labour, suddenly there is a chasm of silence on the issue.

Here is my point. I earn money by selling my labour in the marketplace. I have certain skills, and they earn me money so I can live. It is wrong for the government to force me to pay tax, and then to use that tax to undermine the market in which I earn my money. It is immoral, and unjust.

There is also a secondary point in that I think it is wrong to force people to work for their benefits.

Great post.

She's done nobody a bad turn really. The schemes will be revamped and continue but in a more lawful way, which is a good thing not a bad thing.

Taxpayers are the ones that we lose out because of more government incompetence. How many millions pounds are we going to be stung for because of this.

And now they want to spend even more of our money going to court again!

It will be interesting to see if she's done hundreds of thousands of people a bad turn by defining case law so that they have their benefits stopped.

Eh?:confused:

Why would people have their benefits stopped?

She has done people a good turn by allowing all those people who had their benefits stopped by refusing to go on these schemes, to now get all their benefits reinstated and back-dated.

Going on these courses is not about getting job experience but about the job centre reaching its targets to move people from one benefit to another allowing figures to be massaged.

or people who don't want to work for that matter?

The upshot is that

a. benefits staff overstepped their authority.

b. she should have been placed with a third sector organisation.

c. she should have had benefits stopped if she didn't take up b.

It will be interesting to see if she's done hundreds of thousands of people a bad turn by defining case law so that they have their benefits stopped.

You seem disappointed, are you using slave labour?

She's working part time at Morrisons, so evidently her retail work experience stood her in good stead, despite her bleating about it.

This girl was working on a voluntary basis for a Museum in order to gain experience in her chosen field, but the Job Centre decided that this was unacceptable and that she must work for Poundland in order to gain job experience. It beggars belief that anyone should in this way.

This girl was working on a voluntary basis for a Museum in order to gain experience in her chosen field, but the Job Centre decided that this was unacceptable and that she must work for Poundland in order to gain job experience. It beggars belief that anyone should in this way.

The same thing happens to those who do part-time GCSE courses to improve their prospects. They get thrown off these recognised courses to stack shelves.

This girl seems to think she should be able to stay on benefits indefinately until her dream job in a museum magically appears. Someone needs to introduce her to the real world.

Well she is obviously such a drain on our society, fancy in spite of studying hard to get her degree, not being able to find a job she is willing to keep on improving her skills and chances of getting a job by volunteering until she can find employment that would enable her to become a productive, tax paying member of our society. As opposed to the ones who leave school with no ambition other that to live a life on the dole or the really 'clever' ones who have a child to get even more benefits, no chance of these ingrates having to work anywhere, least of all Poundland.

Archived