Working for free breached laws banning slavery and forced labour

WeX

Good luck to the rest of her career which she's probably ruined now. Would any employer risk taking on someone like her?

Any one of the many employers who value employess with enough self respect, tenacity and initiative to do what's necessary to get justice when someone tries to exploit them?

---------- Post added 13-02-2013 at 01:36 ----------

Don't see why the likes of Poundland should benefit from free labour. Hope this young woman does well in life - she has shown considerable courage in taking on the DWP

Agree totally. The DWP is way too accustomed to getting away with its explotation of the unemployed- for whatever reason, the DWP seem totally unnacountable for their many mistakes and transgressions.

It's about time they were taken to court and made to take responsibility when they break the law. IMO, she's performed a public service by doing this.

---------- Post added 13-02-2013 at 01:40 ----------

This girl seems to think she should be able to stay on benefits indefinately until her dream job in a museum magically appears. Someone needs to introduce her to the real world.

She seems to be in the 'real world' already- she's taken appropriate action against an organisation that tried it's best to mess her life up, won the court action, and is now working.

---------- Post added 13-02-2013 at 01:44 ----------

Indeed. Hence the young lady is now gainfully employed stacking shelves.

http://news.sky.com/story/1051035/poundland-graduate-cait-reilly-wins-appeal

Following the ruling, Miss Reilly said: "I don't think I am above working in shops like Poundland. I now work part time in a supermarket. It is just that I expect to get paid for working.

Internships are working for free. I don't know the technicalities of it all but its free working. I'm not sure how bad it is in the UK compared to the USA, but over there they use interns to fill staffing gaps with little chance of getting a job in the end.
We use internships to develop practical use of the theories we are learning in college. My son worked in his college television studio, and was paid some money for it. So do medical interns get paid. Not all positions are paid however, but are still welcomed by students. There is no slavery in it. The men and women who do projects like Habitat for Humanity give their skills and strengths free to put together homes for people who cannot afford them or are unable to build for themselves through illness. DIY firms offer materials at low rates. By the way, a lot of interns finish up working for the firms that used them during internship. I had a young English student living at my house for a time while he did a year long internship at my company. He has now been working at our plant near Berwick on Tweed for over 20 years. It never fails to amaze me how much garbage is spoken about a country they've never been to for more than a couple of weeks if at all. President Obama is in the process of offering green cards to foreign students who show promise in American colleges. Successful internships will be a part of the evaluation process. I hope he is successful.

She's working now, and not in a museum.

But would she be working now if she hadn't been forced to work at Poundland? Did it give her a reality check?

If she'd gone unquestioned no doubt she'd still be there, volunteering at the pen museum, being a drain on the country.

Maybe I should quit my job and claim benefits until my dream job of bikini inspector or beer taster comes up? Why don't we all?

Maybe I should quit my job and claim benefits until my dream job of bikini inspector or beer taster comes up? Why don't we all?

Never give up the dream, it happened for me, but by golly it was hard work getting to the top.

Archived