Working for free breached laws banning slavery and forced labour

WeX

so when she cant find employment and the reasons are what you described i hope she takes those employers/dwp to court.

and now the law makes spurious employment claims much more difficult, this case will be overturned in due course on appeal and good for that, people like this think they are above complying, "workers" sorry troublemakers like this nobody needs and can ususally be spotted in the first few weeks of a work trial....bye!:wave:

A young man working in a hotel on minimum wage was asked by his employer to sleep over to act as night contact and for any emergencies that may arise; he declined because they wanted him to it for free. They made it clear his job was at risk if he didn’t do it, so he started to apply for alternative work. He has been offered an interview for a new job and the organisation as already contacted is present employer for a reference and they immediately cut his hours.

Didn't know whether to start a new thread or but this here since he was asked to work for free, that’s assuming being asked to sleep at the hotel would constitute work.

he has done the right thing in looking for another job. this employer needed to pay overtime at the going rate and not threaten his position. people should boycott the hotel and the manager disciplined for being a bully. well done to that young man

A young man working in a hotel on minimum wage was asked by his employer to sleep over to act as night contact and for any emergencies that may arise; he declined because they wanted him to it for free. They made it clear his job was at risk if he didn’t do it, so he started to apply for alternative work. He has been offered an interview for a new job and the organisation as already contacted is present employer for a reference and they immediately cut his hours.

Didn't know whether to start a new thread or but this here since he was asked to work for free, that’s assuming being asked to sleep at the hotel would constitute work.

Bit short-sighted of the hotel. But I guess some mug will agree to do the night shift on standby for free.

he has done the right thing in looking for another job. this employer needed to pay overtime at the going rate and not threaten his position. people should boycott the hotel and the manager disciplined for being a bully. well done to that young man

That’s what I thought, the lad would have been happy with a retainer, which covered for a couple of hours work if necessary, so he sleeps for 7 hours but is paid for two of them whether he works or not.

Just hopping now he gets the new job because I think his life will be made more difficult now they now he’s looking for other work.

She looked like a soap dodging arrogant keffiyeh wearing guardianista to me mate. Her actions confirmed it. Why would any real business want that?

Depends if you think working for some cheapskate exploiter is the 'real' business.

As I1LT23 said - she's intelligent, assertive, has excellent communication skills. Many employers nowadays value these qualities.

Bit short-sighted of the hotel. But I guess some mug will agree to do the night shift on standby for free.

It wouldn't be so bad if they offered permanent accommodation, with the job being a live in job. Free accommodation in return for being on call at night wouldn’t be unreasonable because it would save him renting his flat.

I find one aspect of this confusing.

If she was drawing dole money she would not be entitled to take paid work.

If Poundland had paid her she wouldn't have got dole money.

And there's the crux. She found a job off her own bat BUT that would not permit the DWP (or here 'Work Provider' :rolleyes:) to tick their boxes and claim credit/funding.

Can't have that, can we? So this job she had has given her bosses to see her in action re. willingness, timekeeping etc. She'd have had to give it up to work for Poundland for nothing.

And these people claim to be 'helping people back into work' when the truth is, like bankers, they're only interested in meeting targets and keeping their miserable jobs.

Good luck to the rest of her career which she's probably ruined now. Would any employer risk taking on someone like her?

On the contrary, I think she's saved herself a lot of heartache, disappointment, and bitterness, because she'll never have to work for a total arse.

---------- Post added 14-02-2013 at 09:40 ----------

If i was an employer i wouldnt touch her with a bargepole ............. she has got "Troublemaker" written all over her.

Case in point.

That’s what I thought, the lad would have been happy with a retainer, which covered for a couple of hours work if necessary, so he sleeps for 7 hours but is paid for two of them whether he works or not.

Just hopping now he gets the new job because I think his life will be made more difficult now they now he’s looking for other work.

thats your trouble you think :hihi: you dont know what the lad would have been happy with. maybe just maybe he thought he would have been paid overtime at the going rate. then maybe he wouldnt have to tell his landlord/council that he cant afford his rent because his employer didnt pay him. how do you pay rent/mortgage/bills etc from fresh air?

I was posting this on another thread but its closed so I thought I would share it with you here.

"if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys" :)

Monkeys don’t work for peanuts, they will work for Cucumber and grapes but only if they get equal pay as this video demonstrates.

Archived