Buying a used car from Gilders

mogwai84

Seems a bit daft to write off a whole company selling thousands of cars just because a single salesman didnt seem to know enough about finance for your liking.

How can it been easy for them to find you finance be a bad thing? Not everyone has thousands of pounds laying around to pay cash for their cars so they supply finance, and of course make a commission on each financial agreement they refer. Its called business.

---------- Post added 12-02-2013 at 12:14 ----------

I am not recommending car craft, my relatives have always bought cars from Direct Cars and have always been pleased.

true true but i had a very close friend who worked at the crafty place and he said that the finance rates were extortionate compared to other places

personally i like Gilders, have bought 2 cars from them, the last was very recently. Cant fault the service, the approved used stock does give a peace of mind, at a price. Generally they dont sell tarted up crap.

When you say Golf/Leon which models in particular are you looking at? TDis?

Which one? There are two :)

Carcraft is probably the one to avoid...high prices (but easy finance - go figure). Same company that owns webuyanycar.com (so they rip people off twice!!)

We have used the car people twice and been very happy - no pressure sales , fair prices, quality stock and they let you take test drives (without having to sign to buy first which Direct Cars always used to make you do)

http://www.thecarpeople.co.uk/our-showrooms/sheffield/index.htm

Carcraft is probably the one to avoid...high prices (but easy finance - go figure). Same company that owns webuyanycar.com (so they rip people off twice!!)

We have used the car people twice and been very happy - no pressure sales , fair prices, quality stock and they let you take test drives (without having to sign to buy first which Direct Cars always used to make you do)

http://www.thecarpeople.co.uk/our-showrooms/sheffield/index.htm

And here's the rest of us trying not to name :D

I have no direct experience of Gilders to offer but expect they will be the same as all main dealers, i.e professionals. So, you need to make sure you have agreed everything before you discuss the price. Make sure you are clear what warranty you are getting (is it the full Approved Warranty or some other sort of Warranty that is less valuable), when you can take delivery of the car, that everything is complete (two keys/spare type/jack/handbook book/service stamps/security wheel key etc.) and in good working order (or a list of items to be repaired), what servicing will be done/what fuel will be in the car. Then, and only then, discuss the price.

I would try to limit the time of the discussion to 5 minutes. The sales person will know what they will and won't sell the car for before you make your offer (or will check the moment they leave you alone). The more time you spend in the sales office the more likely it is you will pay what they want you to pay for the car. If the dealer will sell you the car, they're making enough profit from the sale.

Do your research and take some notes with you to help judge the price the same car would cost brought privately. The premium for buying an "Approved" car from a main dealer should be no more than £800 for a nearly new Golf.

Your negotiating power comes from your willingness to walk away from a car you have spent an hour going over with a fine toothcomb. But there are plenty of good Golfs out there, and your time is free.

Be prepared for the dealer to try to sell you a pre-registered car (much newer than you could afford if you bought it outright) on some form of finance. I woud never borrrow money through a dealer to buy a car unless I wanted something I couldn't afford any other way and knew that the dealer was cheaper than the cost of borrowing the money on the highstreet.

Good luck

p.s. if you have a vehicle to trade-in, get a firm price on it before you start looking for your new car and again do your research as to what your car is worth to the trade. Webuyanycar.com will tell you the least the dealer should offer. If the dealer is not prepared to pay a fair price for your old car, I would walk away. You need to have the battle about the value of your old car well before you discuss the price of the new. (And don't re-open the battle yourself or let them re-open it).

Thanks everyone, some very useful posts.

To one of the posters - yes looking at TDIs

We are also having a look at some other dealers, but being an approved VW/Seat seller and having a warranty does give good piece of mind and a premium we're willing to pay if we feel we're getting a good car for a competitive price.

So you don't think the percentage rate is important either? It would have been nice to know how much this finance would have cost compared to other places. Why should I go back to somewhere where I had bad service..it's not as though there's a shortage of car warehouses..they were very poor in my opinion..

If you dont like the rates then you shop elsewhere.

To one of the posters - yes looking at TDIs

From experience, if you are doing less than about 14k miles p/a, are regularly doing short journeys, are using it mostly around town you dont want a TDi

If you are regularly hooning up & down the motorway it a different matter.

Most modern tdis (and all VAG ones) use a VNT (variable nozzle turbo) or a variation thereof. They down not like town driving/short trips/low load situation. The moving vane mech gets sooted up & actuators fail.

Turbos arent cheap. Some are seizing at ridiculously low mileage

Have google of wording like "vag turbo failure", "golf tdi turbo problems"

BTW, oven cleaner & innotec are short term fixes

Archived