The House By The Five Arches!

old tup

Hi old tup - the map is actually at a very large scale. Wardsend House was nearer to the cottages, more or less where Wardsend Road is now. I am learning a few new tricks with bing maps - with any luck this aerial view will show Wardsend Road..:)

Apart from Wardsend House (demolished in 1957 as po999 wrote) there were some small cottages in the same area. These were demolished a year or so earlier and the Tetleys depot was built on the land. One family who lived in the cottages were the Allans - Charlie & Elizabeth (née Acaster) and their children Charles, Christine, John and Glenis. They came to live near us in Dykes Hall Road in a house that the brewery rented to them. All this seems such a long time ago now. I must be getting old ...:sad:

Hi old tup - the map is actually at a very large scale. Wardsend House was nearer to the cottages, more or less where Wardsend Road is now. I am learning a few new tricks with bing maps - with any luck this aerial view will show Wardsend Road..:)

Apart from Wardsend House (demolished in 1957 as po999 wrote) there were some small cottages in the same area. These were demolished a year or so earlier and the Tetleys depot was built on the land. One family who lived in the cottages were the Allans - Charlie & Elizabeth (née Acaster) and their children Charles, Christine, John and Glenis. They came to live near us in Dykes Hall Road in a house that the brewery rented to them. All this seems such a long time ago now. I must be getting old ...:sad:

Thanks for that , Hillsboro.

this

(link removed as it didn't work)

was where my flat was, back in the early 1980s. (now demolished)

It looked out onto the railway, at the time when there were still trains run to Wadsley Bridge train station.

It is here

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Oxspring+Bank&daddr=Oxspring+Bank&hl=en&sll=53.413823,-1.493124&sspn=0.001023,0.00184&geocode=FbEHLwMd-jbp_w%3BFbEHLwMd-jbp_w&t=h&mra=dme&mrsp=0&sz=19&z=19

Edited by Plain Talker

Where was Wardsend house?

The photo unfortunately doesn't show the house in relation to the bridge.

I have tried 1903 maps and the like, but the house isn't even shown :(

Wardsend House was behind what became Tetley Brewery and later Radio

Hallam FM. I think the actual Hallam FM address is 900 Herries Road.

Wardsend House was very close to the railway line and about 100 or 200 yards

away from the Five Arches towards Wadsley Bridge Station.

It is clearly shown on pre-1953 maps of the area. The wealthy Rawson

family of Tanners lived there at one time.

---------- Post added 14-02-2013 at 06:28 ----------

http://www.old-maps.co.uk

enter co-ordinates 433750 and 391000

enlarge map 1953-1954

Wardsend House was behind what became Tetley Brewery...
Quite right - where Hillsbro marked it in red on the map linked in post#12. It’s a pity the house was demolished; perhaps it had become too expensive to maintain. I can only just remember it; my gran used to clean for Mrs Oxspring who lived there in the 1950s.

ive just looked in Mary Walton book and there is no reference to the house so it must be in another one i'll look again when I have more time.Wardsend House was indeed owned by the Rawsons at one time and they were Tanners.The house was up the hill behind Tetleys we used to go ratting there in the mid fifties.There is a story that one of the owners sons used to fly his Spitfire over the house so his parents knew he was ok.

---------- Post added 14-02-2013 at 09:59 ----------

if my memory is correct before Tetleys was built there was a stream running down that side of herries rd,i used to pass it on my way to work and remember Tetleys being built.

Wardsend House.... The wealthy Rawson family of Tanners lived there at one time.
Yes - I think Hannah Rawson was the last of the family to live there. She died in 1841 and the Oxsprings must have moved in a bit later. They were wealthy farmers, and owners of Doe Royd Farm near Wadsley Bridge. Oxspring Dam, just above the Five Arches, must be named after them.

The Mrs Oxspring whom beechnut remembers would have been Gladys Oxspring, the widow of Captain Robert Oxspring, a WW1 hero.