The House By The Five Arches!

old tup

Hi old tup - I think this is the painting you refer to. At the upper left I've put an enlarged view of what may be your former home. Must have a look at that painting when I'm next in Sheffield.....

Edited by hillsbro
Speling....

After another look at the engraving the two buildings to the right of the Arches are the larger one being the small chapel in Wardsend Cemetery the smaller the sextons or gravediggers house.A little foward of them on the river I think thats our old place,its not too distinct,there is a large oilpainting in Weston Bank Museum called I think "Sheffield and the valley of the Don"which shows all the buildings from Scotsmans Hill looking across to the Barracks.It was a lot nicer in those days it doesn,t take long to spoil the countryside in the name of progress a shame really!

Thinking back I remember just below the bridge near your place their was the big cast iron overflow grate, and what seemed like an island just in front of it, that must have been where the cut for the dam to your place must have started.

Thinking back I remember just below the bridge near your place their was the big cast iron overflow grate, and what seemed like an island just in front of it, that must have been where the cut for the dam to your place must have started.

Thats right we used to play on the island as kids,my two sisters and brother built dens on it and made a dam on the side away from the main river flow.We never had an inkling that our cottage was part of a mill complex as every thing had been demolished and the goits and dam behind the cottage filled in sometime in the 1920s.If you remember it was yourself who pointed it out to me,so as you progress down the Don everywhere there is a weir there must have been a mill!.After ours there is one where the Power Station was then Old Park Silver Mill,then Hillfoot School on the bend of Club Mill Road the clue is in the name!and so on,the next after Hillfoot Bridge.I have seen a painting of the mill at Ladies Bridge very interesting don,t you think?.

Thats right we used to play on the island as kids,my two sisters and brother built dens on it and made a dam on the side away from the main river flow.We never had an inkling that our cottage was part of a mill complex as every thing had been demolished and the goits and dam behind the cottage filled in sometime in the 1920s.If you remember it was yourself who pointed it out to me,so as you progress down the Don everywhere there is a weir there must have been a mill!.After ours there is one where the Power Station was then Old Park Silver Mill,then Hillfoot School on the bend of Club Mill Road the clue is in the name!and so on,the next after Hillfoot Bridge.I have seen a painting of the mill at Ladies Bridge very interesting don,t you think?.

Sandbed tilt wheel at the back of Hillfoot school, Philladelphia tilt at Bacon Island.

I think this is the painting you refer to.

Is that green oval where the dog track/speedway circuit is or was ?

Thats it skippy they have certainly made a mess of a beautiful area you can,t believe how it changed in my short time of living down there not in a good way!.:roll:

The house must be vunerable to flooding as you say its below ground level where the road is all I can say is I remeber walking through Parkwood from Pitsmoor through the woods which I now know as Scraith Woods and coming out at the point where the house stands.

Where Bramhalls is now and the lower section of Herries Rd wasn't there but where the bend is which is now known as Herries Rd South was.

Its such a long time ago probably late 60s

Hi Paul, i think your memory is playing tricks on you,im 71 now ans have known this area all my life and both parts of Herries road have always existed,where Bramalls is now was Kitsons cafe and petrol station it was also a base for Regent petrol tankers and a sleeping house for lorry drivers as in those days it was a 20 mph speed limit so it took a long time to get anywhere,above here was a pond and we used to tie drums together and sail on it above that was a scrap yard with war junk in it opposite Kitsons was a forge if i remember right it was called Gillotts and at the side of there was a black ash path leading to Club Mill Rd,at the other side of the path were allotments then the little overflow stream from the tunnel known as the sh*tten entry. On the other side of Herries rd was nothing until i think Marsdens Fabricators and then where the bus garage was there was another scrap yard full of war junk,on the other side was Hiram Wild cutlers.