The House By The Five Arches!

old tup

The "white bridge" is arrowed on this six-inch Ordnance Survey map dated 1934. The map also shows the zig-zag path, with railings either side, through the cemetery below the bridge. A map of 1920-21 doesn't show the bridge, so it must have been built in the meantime. I remember it well but I've never seen a photo! I did wonder if it had something to do with the power station as it seemed to disappear not long after the power station closed.

Can be seen quite clearly on Britain from above, put Neepsend Power Station in search 2nd picture top right.

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/

The "white bridge" is arrowed on this six-inch Ordnance Survey map dated 1934. The map also shows the zig-zag path, with railings either side, through the cemetery below the bridge. A map of 1920-21 doesn't show the bridge, so it must have been built in the meantime. I remember it well but I've never seen a photo! I did wonder if it had something to do with the power station as it seemed to disappear not long after the power station closed.

Thank you Mr.H. interesting map and I believe the wording 'Confectionary works' on the left, refers to what was 'Bassett's' ?

Can be seen quite clearly on Britain from above...
Thanks!
Thank you Mr.H. interesting map and I believe the wording 'Confectionary works' on the left, refers to what was 'Bassett's' ?
Yes, that's Bassett's. The "National Library of Scotland" website is a very useful source of old maps - here is a link to the full OS sheet.

---------- Post added 30-12-2016 at 17:07 ----------

Here are two .photos taken this morning.

Edited by hillsbro