Republic the latest chain to call in administrators

I think the biggest killer for Republic was it's target age group, which I think was the 16-25 year olds. Not exactly an age group with large amounts of disposable income to spend.

Stores like River Island, Hollister, Super Dry, Next cater for much wider age groups.

Exactly.

River Island etc. offer similar stuff but for less.

I have never liked Republic I was surprised it hadn't closed already.

Some businesses these days are not adapting to the economic climate and think they can still over charge for items (HMV, Republic) that most people can either get online or from another shop for less. These chains just assumed they could ride the recession because their a popular high street name.

Yes I would agree that is a significant factor, but people won't spend their money because many fear unemployment and another recession.
You're confusing your opinion with facts again. http://www.retailresearch.org/images/pagepics/retailsales200120012.jpg A slowdown occurred before this government came into power. Since then it has picked up its usual pace of increase.

There are all sorts of reasons why this retailer has struggled but few if any can be laid at the government's door - see above for real insight. It would be nice if you could show a little sympathy for those involved instead of going for cheap political points.

:)

Extremes in recession do well, primark and tkmaxx, then top end stores.

Republic was too middling. That and internet shopping killed it.

---------- Post added 13-02-2013 at 07:04 ----------

You're confusing your opinion with facts again. http://www.retailresearch.org/images/pagepics/retailsales200120012.jpg A slowdown occurred before this government came into power. Since then it has picked up its usual pace of increase.

There are all sorts of reasons why this retailer has struggled but few if any can be laid at the government's door - see above for real insight. It would be nice if you could show a little sympathy for those involved instead of going for cheap political points.

:)

The global recession is to blame if anything, the condems have accelerated matters by cutting too fast so people are scared to spend or don't have money to begin with.

The labdems will save the day! Not.

I liked Republic until I turned 17ish then swiftly realised fur lined clothes and neon tshirts were not for me. It didn't seem to have a range for anyone much older than that, except for the odd item here and there. To base a business around the wages of 17 year olds is never going to get a company far. And yes, it did always seem quite overpriced!

but people won't spend their money because many fear unemployment and another recession.

Living within their means? Maybe that's better than spending money they don't have.

£1.5trillion! Britons rack up a record personal debt mountain

(Note the date of the story.)

Most of the so-called boom that Crash Gordon took credit for was based on debt:

The global economy's decade of debt-fuelled boom and bust

Borrowing was both the shaky foundation of global growth and the cause of its collapse

It started with a bust and it ended with an even bigger bust. In between was sandwiched an unsustainable boom. Banks have been humbled. Economists have been found wanting. Geopolitical power began to shift from west to east. That was the noughties that was.

LINK [The Guardian, Monday 21 December 2009]

This is the sort of charlatan economics that Wednesday1 wants to return to.

For example, if I were to borrow £100,000 and start spending it, people would say "Look at that Vague Boy, he's doing well".

If a year later I borrowed a further £100,000 and put a deposit down on a huge house people would say "look how prosperous Vague Boy is".

And in year 3, another £100,000 borrowed. Now I buy new cars and have a swimming pool installed. People say "that Vague Boy, I don't know how he does it".

But I know it's all borrowed prosperity, illusory success.

And it works.

AS LONG AS YOU CAN KEEP ON BORROWING MONEY.

When it stops (as it 2007 when the global credit taps were turn off) all that so-called "growth" and "prosperity" just evaporated. Just like the illusion it was.

So promoting yet another "unsustainable boom" (to quote that Guardian article above) just so that various not very adaptable retail chains can continue to sell stuff made in India and China and keep some sales assistants in jobs. Well I'm sorry but that's the economic mantra of someone who has learned nothing from the financial crisis of the past few years.

Extremes in recession do well, primark and tkmaxx, then top end stores.

Republic was too middling. That and internet shopping killed it.

---------- Post added 13-02-2013 at 07:04 ----------

The global recession is to blame if anything, the condems have accelerated matters by cutting too fast so people are scared to spend or don't have money to begin with.

The labdems will save the day! Not.

Let's be clear about this.

The "Global Recession" (no such thing happened) is not to blame for Republic's woes.

The "condems" (playground language doesn't become you) are not to blame for Republic's woes.

The "cuts" are not to blame for Republic's woes.

"People being afraid to spend" is not to blame for Republic's woes.

"Not having the money to begin with" is not to blame for Republic's woes.

Sometimes, crap stuff just happens. The market and the customers seems to have moved on in the case of Republic. That's a very sad thing for Republic and their people, but retail as an industry is flourishing.

I think the biggest killer for Republic was it's target age group, which I think was the 16-25 year olds. Not exactly an age group with large amounts of disposable income to spend.

Stores like River Island, Hollister, Super Dry, Next cater for much wider age groups.

My own 21 year old thinks the age group is even more limited (14-19) in their opinion..........but reckons Hollister is on par age group wise.

That said I do think its a shame that a company that has been around for 20 plus years - and who supported other local companies when they needed help- is looking at folding.

I've not bought clothes on a regular basis for 3 years after I was made redundant in 2009, and developing my own fitness sessions, so now got cash to buy clothes.

I think what I am finding so suprising in 2013 is that all the decent mens clothing shops there were in 2009 in Meadowhall have all gone, even in 2009 Rupublic had some pretty decent shirts and other items such as jeans.

Since I've recently gone clothes shopping again I'm finding all the shops (mens clothes shops), the prices are horrendously high and the quality is awful. I was trying clothes on last week and to be honest, I looked as though I was about to wander onto the Jeremy Kyle show for DNA results - all the clothes shops are OK if you want to look like a chav with a pit bull on a lead.

I've went into the Boss shop (next to HOuse of Fraser) and I have to say, the quality is far better (probably the equivalent of the shops back in 2009) and the prices are to be fair, not much more expensive than the other shops in Meadowhall.

Next are not too bad, but I noticed their going out coats this year were not of the standards of the past. I don't think its down to the internet but overpricing and poor quality.

For my money, I think the high end retailers will do very well. Again, the prices are not much higher but the quality is far greater than their rivals

So why is business at Primark and Poundland booming?!

They sell cheap crap, but at least it's priced like cheap crap.

I only wear primark jeans, they look and fit fine and I can't tell the difference between them and a pair for 3x the price at republic.

Too many tracksuits and/or skinny fit clothes in Republic - seriously who can even fit into this rubbish?

Archived