Republic the latest chain to call in administrators

So what you're basically saying is that a good successful business is a "so what" and a failing one is all the governments fault.

No, I'm saying almost the opposite.

There are always good and bad Businesses. And some Businesses go bust, some survive that's never changed.

But, Govt. decisions make the economic climate for Businesses worse or better depending on what they choose to do(or not do).

---------- Post added 13-02-2013 at 18:21 ----------

So when companies go bust it's goverments' fault when they do well it's "so what"? What was your original point?

Original point:

I said the government effect Businesses with policies they make, how they handle the economy, job creation etc.

So what you're basically saying is that a good successful business is a "so what" and a failing one is all the governments fault.

It's a bit like every child getting a prize for taking part in the egg and spoon race.

I do like some of the clothes that Republic sells, particularly their T Shirts. Though I am surprised that many people do their shopping for clothes online....I'd much prefer to 'try before I buy'.....Sending stuff back always seems such a hassle.

I suppose this is part of the 'creative destruction' that politicians and right wing academics gloated about happening to manufacturing 30 years ago- - now of course it's played out on the High Street....I'm sure the staff who have lost their jobs in the stores would like to wreak some 'creative destruction' on the bankers that caused this awful recession

Excellent post, didn't Thatcher say as the Cons closed our 'smokestack' industries down, that she wanted to create a nation of shopkeepers, well the shops are going the same way as manufacturing base did back then.

Everyone seems to keep saying this goes back 30 years, but wasn't it when New Labour were in that things such as Council Tax doubled, petrol doubled, car insurance began to shoot through the roof (there was a time when it went up by a few pounds every year).

People have less money to spend because its accounted for in other ways. The cost of getting to work must be eating into many peoples finacial incomes, and any under 25 car drivers are paying £1000s for their car insurance.

You go into town these days on Friday and Saturday, you can virtually walk into any bar and get served straight away. Wind back the clock 12+ years ago, you would have been 6 deep at the bar, the dance floor would be rammed, and the rest of the club be very overcrowed.

Republic, could be targeting an audience that has very little spare cash - perhaps another factor?

Excellent post, didn't Thatcher say as the Cons closed our 'smokestack' industries down, that she wanted to create a nation of shopkeepers, well the shops are going the same way as manufacturing base did back then.

No, she didn't do either of those things, retail is in rude health, and the consumers POV on Republic is outlined in detail in earlier posts.

Next.

No, I'm saying almost the opposite.

There are always good and bad Businesses. And some Businesses go bust, some survive that's never changed.

But, Govt. decisions make the economic climate for Businesses worse or better depending on what they choose to do(or not do).

Both ASOS and Republic are working in the same government climate in the same arena..ASOS sales up 42% (see previous post) Republic go bust..I don't see how Republic's problems can be laid at the government's door any more than ASOS's success can.. I suppose it all depends on what agenda you're trying to push...

Both ASOS and Republic are working in the same government climate in the same arena..ASOS sales up 42% (see previous post) Republic go bust..I don't see how Republic's problems can be laid at the government's door any more than ASOS's success can.. I suppose it all depends on what agenda you're trying to push...

Same govt. climate or do you mean under the same legislation? because every Business in every industry doesn't operate under the same restrictions.

The two Business mentioned are not working under the same government restrictions and are not in the same arena. The only similarity is they sell clothes.

ASOS is a 'first to market' online retailer. REPUBLIC built a brand through a series of retail shops.

Completely different legislation for online sales than bricks & mortar retail. Tax loopholes & tax relief are two of the advantages ASOS had over REPUBLIC.

So was REPUBLIC an inefficient Business? or a victim of archaic legislation? I'd suggest a bit of both.

No, she didn't do either of those things, retail is in rude health, and the consumers POV on Republic is outlined in detail in earlier posts.

Next.

Retails dying. Why do you think the government commissioned Mary Portas to develop high streets. Wasn't for a jolly up. Give it 10 years all we will be left with is costa coffees, restaurants and hairdressers e.g. stuff you can't get online.

Archived