UK horsebeef comes from UK

owen paterson, arsey toff environment minister and spokesman for big food business, was telling us yesterday that the horse meat mularkey is johnny foreigner's doing - seems today that our own abbattoirs are also bang at it, will he now condemn tesco, findus aldi etc etc for their total lack of traceability and contempt for the health and well being of their poorest customers?

I reckon not to be honest.

The only thing that will make things change is for people to buy their meat from their local butcher, supporting local farmers and jobs.

To be honest I can't see thing happening, I would imagine the big supermarkets could put anything in their foods and people will still continue to buy food from the supermarket rather than the local butcher.

Things are so weighted against small retailers, parking restrictions, road layouts, road systems that appear to create congestion that for many people just nipping to the supermarker seems so easy

The only thing that will make things change is for people to buy their meat from their local butcher, supporting local farmers and jobs.

To be honest I can't see thing happening, I would imagine the big supermarkets could put anything in their foods and people will still continue to buy food from the supermarket rather than the local butcher.

Things are so weighted against small retailers, parking restrictions, road layouts, road systems that appear to create congestion that for many people just nipping to the supermarker seems so easy

Only time will tell S_F. It probably looks like folk who think they've been buying beef products from the big supermarkets haven't really had their gnashes around a bit of beef for some years.

not really, the authorities need to knuckle down and create better infrastructure for checking what and where meat comes from, obviously somethings been lacking in that area allowing people to cut corners, probably to make a nice little profit

if you're bringing up kids on benefits/minimum wage, you ain't going down to mr jones the butchers and long cooking delicious cheaper cuts of meat (my favourite food) you're after cheap, fast cooked food that fills bellies without using gas - this is the food of the poor.

I'm waiting with crossed fingers for waitrose aberdeen angus horsemeat or fortnum and mason's horse chateaubriand - the poo'll really hit the fan then.

so long as its the poor who eat it, people will blame them for not going to the butchers for food they cannot afford to buy or cook

owen paterson, arsey toff environment minister .

I'd love to think that was on his business card

Or alternatively, more and more people might realise that, as well as ethically repugnant, the meat industry is commercially immoral too, and just stop buying into it altogether?

I'm waiting with crossed fingers for waitrose

At Waitrose, a spokeswoman said it had had "contradictory results" from tests on the frozen beef meatballs.

She said all had tested negative for horse DNA, but one test had indicated the presence of some pork.

"We have withdrawn two batches of these products as pork is not listed as a product in the recipe."

The products are 480g packs of 16 meatballs with a best before date of the end of June 2013 and the end of August 2013

wait no longer lol

Archived