Triathlon Training

I am entering the Virgin London Triathlon in July this year, with a view to doing the ‘Sprint’ category (400M swim, 10KM bike ride, 2.5KM run)

I have a decent level of fitness but have never attempted anything like this before. Has anyone trained for a triathlon who can recommend any good training schedules or books? One thing I am keen to do is take swimming lessons. Whilst I can swim, I suspect my technique is dreadful, which, unless addressed, will use up valuable time and energy.

To be honest, the simplest way to train for those distances is to do them, or work up to them. Work out a route in the car which is 10K for the bike and 2.5K for the run and just go for it. Get down to Ponds Forge and sort out your swimming technique and lane swim. You see some really good effortless looking swimmers down there who make it look easy, you could try asking them. Don't push yourself to exhaustion, do as much as you can and record the result, rest, recover and repeat trying to better your last result each time. I'm sure with the time you have you could achieve those distances before July and then try to improve your times before the event. And lastly.....GOOD LUCK!!!

Maybe beyond individual needs but could be some helpful tips.

Triathlon England will be hosting a weekend of workshops on 23 & 24 March @eissheff

The workshops have been designed for Club Coaches and Club Committee Members to enable a modern and fresh approach to club management and coaching.

Price is £20 per delegate and includes lunch

Archived