Are you cutting back on heating?

Has anybody either switched off their heating or deliberately cut back on their heating this winter?

If you think about it, having gas fires means they are only on in the rooms in use. Whereas if you have modern central heating the rads are on in every room all the time, unless you switch off their valves.

Maybe having gas fires works out more economical.

Has anybody either switched off their heating or deliberately cut back on their heating this winter?

If you think about it, having gas fires means they are only on in the rooms in use. Whereas if you have modern central heating the rads are on in every room all the time, unless you switch off their valves.

Maybe having gas fires works out more economical.

We wear three jumpers in winter,but keep the CH at 15c.

We've started shutting internal doors which keeps the living room warm because the kitchen has a number of air bricks and is really draughty because of it. That has naturally cut down the amount of heating that we need to have running, taking the boiler down from almost its highest setting to almost its minimum, and running for about 4-5 hours a day rather than 10 to keep the living room at a comfortable temperature. We then top up the living room heat with a couple of minutes of a fan heater if necessary during the day.

With my old central heating system I don't have thermostats, so it is controlled manually by me with a thermometer in the living room to tell me when the temperature is dropping enough to turn the heating back on.

This is all relative-I have always tried to be eco friendly therefore not wasting energy.my home is pretty well insulated, I shut doors to localise heat, don't have it on when its not needed and i wear jumpers and other woollies always, I'm young enough and fit enough to do this so I do -so no I'm not cutting back on heating - I've always been careful.

My annual bill is less than some peoples quarterly bill

I'm in a similar position with limited mobility and very cold extremities (I've never been diagnosed with Reynaud's, but it's in the family and I wear sheepskin boots as slippers and gloves when I'm outside even in the summer). I'm in the house most of the time and although I'm happy to wear a decent thick jumper, there's no point in getting so cold I can't move.

Archived