The "god v good dichotomy"

danot

Religion, the church, god... words that once represented all that is associated with serving the greater good... ? But can the church realistically continue to associate itself with "the greater good" when it's sexist, bigoted, homophobic views and practices are conflicting more than ever with and being superseded by the numerous laws on equality and fairness which actually do serve the greater good and protect everyone from the ridiculously outdated, prejudicial and bigoted attitudes of major institutions such as the church which is slowly but surely digging itself into a deep dark hole that it will undoubtedly struggle to climb out of? personally' I feel that this may well mark the begining of the end for the church if it continues to challenge the laws that represent fairness, equality and all that is good in modern day society . What do you think?

A good question but its debatable whether religion was ever solely about 'good'.

Its always been tainted by power, prejudice,corruption and cruelty.

I do appreciate that in some quarters, it has kept a measure of calm in society by controlling the masses with a level of fear for many centuries.

A good question but its debatable whether religion was ever solely about 'good'.

I do appreciate that in some quarters, it has kept a measure of calm in society by controlling the masses with a level of fear for many centuries.

Which has always been shielded and protected by the perception of good and just. It's just that after a while and the curtains become threadbare and all is there to view.

Religion, the church, god... words that once represented all that is associated with serving the greater good... ? But can the church realistically continue to associate itself with "the greater good" when it's sexist, bigoted, homophobic views and practices are conflicting more than ever with and being superseded by the numerous laws on equality and fairness which actually do serve the greater good and protect everyone from the ridiculously outdated, prejudicial and bigoted attitudes of major institutions such as the church which is slowly but surely digging itself into a deep dark hole that it will undoubtedly struggle to climb out of? personally' I feel that this may well mark the begining of the end for the church if it continues to challenge the laws that represent fairness, equality and all that is good in modern day society . What do you think?

What do you mean by the church?

Whilst you make some very good points that phrase covers some pretty variegated ground not all of which can be called sexist, bigoted or homophobic. There is still good done in the name of various churches and some pretty progressive thinkers who are attempting modernisation.

On a personal level surely one's personal God is a force for good.

Religion on the other hand is mainly a power trip for men.

agree with your second point.....but in my experience I've met people who's personal god may be 'good' ..but plenty of others worship greed, hatred, lies etc.

What do you mean by the church?

Whilst you make some very good points that phrase covers some pretty variegated ground not all of which can be called sexist, bigoted or homophobic. There is still good done in the name of various churches and some pretty progressive thinkers who are attempting modernisation.

To both pionts- I agree and accept that there are a few radical thinkers out there who distance themselves from the main body of religious extremists and go on to alternative, more liberal splinter groups, but I'm not talking about those groups. I'm talking about the head of the snake, not the skin that the snake sheds.

Archived