Opinions of Birley Carr, Sheffield please

1867pw

Its Fox Hill Crescent. I'm not really sure where the boundary is between the two areas, is estate to the left below the old church Birley Carr (if you are going down Fox Hill Road)?

Fox Hill Road gets bad for driving when there is a lot of snow or ice, so maybe not ideal if you have any mobility problems, but the area is well served by buses, as someone already said. There are frequent buses to Meadowhall (17) and the city centre (79).

There are a few shops: newsagents, takeaways and a laundrette within walking distance.

I wouldn't say the buses are frequent, every half an hour for the 17, and it never comes on time, if at all!!!! But if you've got a car that's not an issue anyway, the 79 is pretty reliable though.

I live just up the road from the post office, its not a bad area, pretty quiet actually, I think Foxhill gets worse further up, we've never had any problems. Plenty of access to public transport etc if you don't mind a little walk.

I wouldn't recommend the takeaways in fox hill but there are good local amenities like the convinience shop and pub (although I've never been in the pub so can't say what that's like)

I don't think you'd have any problems, birley Carr seems to be ok to me so far (yes technically my house is classed as birley Carr and I say that's where I live rather than Foxhill!!!!! Lol! Not being a snob but people judge you straight away if you say you live at Foxhill!!!)

• 4 months later...
i've lived in birley carr for twenty years and it's a nice, quiet neighbourhood yet convenient for hillsborough and the city centre.the motorway at tankersley is 10 mins away. the back edge and beeley wood are nearby for nice walks. depending where the house is, there are good views over to middlewood , worral and the city centre. fox hill road is a bit nose to tail in the morning rush hour and as frededwards says, some drivers treat it as a race track. there's a decent pub ( fox and hounds ) a short walk away. a sainsbury supermarket is due in the area soon.

Fox and hounds is a dump , trouble pub.

Full of idiots.

Archived