Milliband announces his budget

Sounds like he's planning to reduce the tax free amount to make up any difference.

I find it difficult to get too excited over a couple of quid a week..especially as the level at which people start paying tax has been raised..it'll probably make very little difference..

---------- Post added 14-02-2013 at 16:30 ----------

according to a report i read, in the times i think, Ed voted in favour of its removal at the time - nice to see he's not afraid to admit he was wrong!

Pity he didn't do it at the time...isn't this an opposition U turn.. :D

Pity he didn't do it at the time...isn't this an opposition U turn.. :D

probably not the first and certainly not the last as he tries to create more distance from the previous labour government

but having said that i quite like politicians admitting they were wrong - even if it is only a cynical attempt to garner more votes

He's not really talking about anything new either..the 10p rate used to exist before Brown got rid of it and the "mansion tax" is Vince Cable's idea..

Remember that it was Brown who first introduced it when he was Chancellor.

In it's last year the personal allowance was £5,225. The 10p tax band was on the first £2,230 of taxable income, so between £5,225 and £7,455.

The personal allowance from April will be nearly £10,000. Instead of tinkering and re-introducing a defunct tax bracket, if he really wanted to help the lower paid he would just continue to raise the personal allowance. Simpler all round surely?

I read an interesting article today comparing Labour's 10p tax rate u-turn to the lib dem policy to raise the lower threshold.

I works out the same for anyone earning over about 12k but raising the threshold helps the poorest earners more than re-introducing the 10p rate.

So yet another example of Labour failing to help the poorest earners.

Added to that is the need for a costly, full revaluation of properties (and therefore council tax bands) before introduction of the mansion tax means....yes more tax on the average workers.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Remember that it was Brown who first introduced it when he was Chancellor.

In it's last year the personal allowance was £5,225. The 10p tax band was on the first £2,230 of taxable income, so between £5,225 and £7,455.

The personal allowance from April will be nearly £10,000. Instead of tinkering and re-introducing a defunct tax bracket, if he really wanted to help the lower paid he would just continue to raise the personal allowance. Simpler all round surely?

I agree with you (and with the post above) of course it would be the simplest way to give people on low and medium incomes a bit more in their pay packet. But politicians often seem to prefer the less obvious. :roll:

I agree with you (and with the post above) of course it would be the simplest way to give people on low and medium incomes a bit more in their pay packet. But politicians often seem to prefer the less obvious. :roll:

He's counting on people not knowing how the tax system works. Some people see a 10p tax rate and assume it's going to affect them or will somehow result in them paying 50% less tax. But a simple change in tax bands and allowances does a lot more, in a more simple way but it just doesn't make a good headline.

How did Ed vote in 2007 when it was removed?

If he made a mistake voting for it and admitted that mistake then it's a policy U-turn.

Is it bad to do that?

After all every coalition U-turn seems dressed up as a sign of strength in realising when they made a mistake and being brave enough to admit it.

One rule for the Tories and another for Labour?

If he made a mistake voting for it and admitted that mistake then it's a policy U-turn.

Is it bad to do that?

After all every coalition U-turn seems dressed up as a sign of strength in realising when they made a mistake and being brave enough to admit it.

One rule for the Tories and another for Labour?

When his vote was regressive then and his policy is regressive now it's less u-turn than u-boat, designed to sink.

As taxman has pointed out the coalition policy of raising the tax free allowance is far more effective in helping the lowest paid with minimum admin cost than adding in another banding.

Archived