Burglaries in Holmhirst, Woodseats

jemson

“It involved officers checking doors and entering homes which they found unlocked to say ‘hello’ to the occupants inside."

Do we really want to live like this? Being made to feel guilty for leaving our doors unlocked while we are in another room?

Incredible.

I don't think it is about making people feel guilty - why would they do that? I think it is more about making people realise how vulnerable their home is. If the police find a door unlocked you can bet that a burglar can find it even quicker.

I would far rather have the police entering my home like that than a burglar doing it... wouldn't you?

---------- Post added 20-02-2013 at 23:16 ----------

agreed, since when was it a sin to feel safe enough to leave the door unlocked while you're in? Says alot about the world we live in and the 'real' ability of the police to tackle this kind of crime.

---------- Post added 15-02-2013 at 15:57 ----------

but as long as this is the accepted wisdom nothing will change, this kind of thing needs tackling as the source, not at the end of the chain, making the innocent pay and live in fear.

but surely that is not the fault of the police? Is it not the fault of the burglar or thief? I know people don't like the police, but why make more work for them when all it takes is a quick turn of a key in your door to keep you and your property safe?

Police in Sheffield are aware of the rise in burglaries across the city. Around a quarter of these burglaries occur because of unlocked or insecure doors or windows. We are also aware that once a burglar has targeted a property, they may revisit the same area.

Police officers are posting cards to notify neighbouring properties that there has been a burglary in the area. This is to provide crime prevention tips, and to increase awareness. In some parts of the city, officers are also checking doors to see if they are unlocked or insecure. Where there is an unlocked door, officers are offering guidance and advice to residents.

To deter and prevent burglars, residents can take the following steps:

• Make sure doors and windows are locked, even if you are in the house

• Keep all valuables – including car/house keys – safely out of sight, and out of reach of doors, windows, and letterboxes (we have had incidents where burglars have used a stick to retrieve keys through a letterbox from inside the home)

• Mark your property with your name and postcode – this makes it harder for burglars to sell on stolen goods

• Register your property for free on http://www.immobilise.com – a free, nationwide database that allows lost or stolen property to be traced back and returned to its rightful owner

If you do see anyone behaving suspiciously, please call 101. If a crime is in progress, call 999.

I would far rather have the police entering my home like that than a burglar doing it... wouldn't you?
These burglaries happened in broad daylight less that half a mile from a police station.

The real problem is the courts lack of punishment coupled with a lack of police prescence.

Burglers are getting braver because they can. This simply should not be happening.

Lock your door and they move onto someone else. If everyone locks their doors then they'll just start doing forced entries. Locking up is no solution and we shouldn't have to live in fear like this.

BTW, that SWP have take 7 days to post in this thread does not give a good impression of their ability to be pro-active!

Police in Sheffield are aware of the rise in burglaries across the city. Around a quarter of these burglaries occur because of unlocked or insecure doors or windows. We are also aware that once a burglar has targeted a property, they may revisit the same area.

Police officers are posting cards to notify neighbouring properties that there has been a burglary in the area. This is to provide crime prevention tips, and to increase awareness. In some parts of the city, officers are also checking doors to see if they are unlocked or insecure. Where there is an unlocked door, officers are offering guidance and advice to residents.

NONE of this has happened and we live VERY close to the last burglary and we have been at home pretty much 24/7.

---------- Post added 24-02-2013 at 22:39 ----------

Two Police cars outside a house on HH early this morning . . . :suspect:

Archived