Car hit by DHL lorry whilst parked.

Dan_R

Hi,

I parked my car (on a side road) for work and when I returned later that evening the front of my car was badly damaged.

Luckily a very nice gentleman saw the DHL lorry hit it and managed to get the Reg number. I suspect it is a foreign lorry as the reg number begins <REMOVED>.

I have informed police as driver left no details and obviously insurance company. I'm just concerned that if they cannot trace this lorry I am liable for the excess on my insurance and also lose my no-claims bonus through no fault of my own.

Anyone got any experience in this kind of thing or know what OLK would represent on a registration plate (not 100% its foreign - just presuming).

Surely the police/insurer can trace the lorry through DHL to see what lorry was making deliveries in that area at that time?

Hi,

I parked my car (on a side road) for work and when I returned later that evening the front of my car was badly damaged.

Luckily a very nice gentleman saw the DHL lorry hit it and managed to get the Reg number. I suspect it is a foreign lorry as the reg number begins <REMOVED>.

I have informed police as driver left no details and obviously insurance company. I'm just concerned that if they cannot trace this lorry I am liable for the excess on my insurance and also lose my no-claims bonus through no fault of my own.

Anyone got any experience in this kind of thing or know what OLK would represent on a registration plate (not 100% its foreign - just presuming).

Surely the police/insurer can trace the lorry through DHL to see what lorry was making deliveries in that area at that time?

Did you have legal expenses cover as part of your car insurance?

Yes, fortunately I do so the solicitors have been in touch and have all the required details too.

---------- Post added 18-02-2013 at 12:26 ----------

---------- Post added 18-02-2013 at 12:26 ----------

---------- Post added 18-02-2013 at 12:27 ----------

Has anyone sles had a similar experience? Just interested in timescales etc of tracing the foreign vehicle etc.

• 1 month later...

My daughter's car was hit by a pick-up truck with (according to 2 witnesses) the registration <REMOVED>. The driver was seen to get out of the truck, look at my daughter's car, get back in the truck and drive off!!

PLEASE if anyone sees this truck anywhere - it happened in Hillsborough - please post on here asap. I'll follow it until I find out where they live. This is a criminal offence that can carry a prison sentence!!!

The police have said there is no record of that registration in this country and the insurance have said there is no record of any insurance on that registration number.

This is my daughter's first car. She loves it! She works really hard as a nurse at the Hallamshire and really shouldn't have to deal with rotten people who can't face up to their responsibilities!

Police dont have details of car not from uk, what can they do? Even if you found out where they are base, your insurance company wouldnt chase it up as it will cost too much, Even if you did manage to chase them up all he has to say is he didnt hit your car,

wasting your time. just leave a small dent will not harm the way the car drives

Actually the police could do something as it's criminal offence - if they knew where he was! We have 2 witnesses who saw him hit the car, get out and then drive off.

Also, it's not just a small dent, she had to have a complete new bumper, has already had to spend about £100 and will need to spend about another £250 to get the car back to how it was before! Not a small amount on a nurse's salary!

Anyway - why should we just accept these people are driving around not caring?

Archived