You'll be paying for relative's care.

I wonder how many people know this.

I quote fron the latest edition of 'A guide to Residential and Nursing care in Sheffield' published by Sheffield City Council (page 8&7):

Paying for your care;

"If your place at the home costs more than the amount the council will pay you'll need to have a friend, relative or a charity willing to pay the difference when you are living there. They'll have to sign an agreement to pay the additional cost of your care. If at any time they're unable to pay this amount you may be asked to move to another home.

You can't use your own money to pay the additional costs."

Council run Residential home £424

Other Residential care home - £353

Other Nursing care home - £391

The above fees are for persons with no house to sell or savings.

Most homes cost upwards of £500 per week at least, so am I right in thinking that relatives are going to have to stump up upwards of £400 a month to pay for a relatives care?

The above fees are for persons with no house to sell or savings.

Most homes cost upwards of £500 per week at least, so am I right in thinking that relatives are going to have to stump up upwards of £400 a month to pay for a relatives care?

No, they could care for relatives themselves instead of paying someone to do it for them.

If you're over 50, move to Derbyshire. Or sell your house (I really don't have a problem with this - my folks didn't need a leg up, and didn't get one either, why should I ?)

Derbyshire fees. http://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/social_health/adult_care_and_wellbeing/accommodation_and_housing/choosing_a_care_home/charges/fee_levels/default.asp

If you have savings over £23k they'll expect you to kick in, otherwise they pay.

A bit simplistic. There are many genuine reasons why people can't have elderly relatives to live with them, and sometimes medical reasons as well.

I was chatting with some work colleagues who can't believe we live in a culture where we put our elders in homes. A couple of generations back, I bet ours would think the same at this conversation.

Archived