You'll be paying for relative's care.

My nan is currently at the early stages of dementia. She's in sheltered housing now but will need a care home in the future. My mum (her carer) lives in an upper floor flat and is also a carer for my dad who has epilepsy. Her sister lives in Wales, looking after her husband who had a heart attack recently. I have 3 children, one of whom is severely disabled. It's not that we don't want to care for her full time, it's just an impossibility due to the situation. Worrying times ahead.

What, you mean like children are for the beginning of their days?

There seems to be a judgemental tone in your post which I feel is unfair.

I am happily in a position to take care of my relatives and will be more than happy to do so. But not everyone is in that position.

And I want more than anything for my house to go to my children where it can do them some good. I'd prefer euthanasia to sitting drooling very expensively in a chair leaving them nothing.

There seems to be a judgemental tone in your post which I feel is unfair.

I am happily in a position to take care of my relatives and will be more than happy to do so. But not everyone is in that position.

And I want more than anything for my house to go to my children where it can do them some good. I'd prefer euthanasia to sitting drooling very expensively in a chair leaving them nothing.

But would they? I would prefer a drooling parent (if they had quality of life) than a house.

I am unlikely to be in a position to offer any sort of care to my parents, since they live 100 miles away and I need a carer myself. I'm also on disability benefits, so my ability to contribute financially to their care will be zilch, should they need to go into a home.

We've been given strict instructions BTW not to try to move into their home or move them into our homes if they get infirm, as they would rather be put in a home and at least know that we're living our lives and not spending our time waiting hand and foot on them when we could have more exciting things to do.

If and when the time arises that they do need care I think that both of us will struggle to carry out their instructions.

The situation is awful.

What happens if your family are not in a position to pay? Many families are struggling to feed themselves these days. Where are they going to find an extra £100 a week?

I can't see relatives ever being compelled to help pay fees Anna. Who would have the authority to intrude into the finances of relatives?

But would they? I would prefer a drooling parent (if they had quality of life) than a house.

You haven't been in many care homes if you think that is a quality life - which is another reason why I object to the price they charge. They are also quite happy to move a seriously old person out of a home they are used to if they can't pay their extortionate fees, which doesn't say much for their care or feelings for the person in their charge does it?

[/color]

You haven't been in many care homes if you think that is a quality life - which is another reason why I object to the price they charge. They are also quite happy to move a seriously old person out of a home they are used to if they can't pay their extortionate fees, which doesn't say much for their care or feelings for the person in their charge does it?

I did use the word "if".

I can't see relatives ever being compelled to help pay fees Anna. Who would have the authority to intrude into the finances of relatives?

That's what I thought, so I was very surprised to see it in black and white in the booklet. And I was hoping to hear from anyone who is directly involved with the process.

ahh, your just as greedy as everyone else then.

why should I pay for your kids to inherit a nice house?

Eh?

Who's asking you to pay anything.

Anna B has no doubt worked hard to buy a house and paid taxes (same as me)

Your taxes have nothing to do with it.

You'll get your turn to draw benefits when old enough. I don't suppose you will refuse them when the time comes.

Troll!

Archived