You'll be paying for relative's care.

Eh?

Who's asking you to pay anything.

Anna B has no doubt worked hard to buy a house and paid taxes (same as me)

Your taxes have nothing to do with it.

You'll get your turn to draw benefits when old enough. I don't suppose you will refuse them when the time comes.

Troll!

In gym rats defence, we would be paying (hypothetically of course) for Anna's care if she didn't have a house and wouldn't object (well I wouldn't). I might if she had a house worth £250k.

I was chatting with some work colleagues who can't believe we live in a culture where we put our elders in homes. A couple of generations back, I bet ours would think the same at this conversation.

I agree, when my Granddad fell hill he moved in with use and was cared for by my mother for the last ten years of his life, we used to manage just fine withuto all these homes for the elderly.

My neighbour needs constant care but refuses to go in a home so his family provides the care he needs with some support from home help.

On the other side of the coin I know someone that put their mother into care because caring for her was making their life more difficult.

I wonder how many people know this.

I quote fron the latest edition of 'A guide to Residential and Nursing care in Sheffield' published by Sheffield City Council (page 8&7):

Paying for your care;

"If your place at the home costs more than the amount the council will pay you'll need to have a friend, relative or a charity willing to pay the difference when you are living there. They'll have to sign an agreement to pay the additional cost of your care. If at any time they're unable to pay this amount you may be asked to move to another home.

You can't use your own money to pay the additional costs."

Council run Residential home £424

Other Residential care home - £353

Other Nursing care home - £391

The above fees are for persons with no house to sell or savings.

Most homes cost upwards of £500 per week at least, so am I right in thinking that relatives are going to have to stump up upwards of £400 a month to pay for a relatives care?

Sounds reasonable to me, they have to put an upper limit on it or all our elderly could check in to a 5 star hotel for the rest of their lives at taxpayer expense.

Eh?

Who's asking you to pay anything.

Anna B has no doubt worked hard to buy a house and paid taxes (same as me)

Your taxes have nothing to do with it.

You'll get your turn to draw benefits when old enough. I don't suppose you will refuse them when the time comes.

Troll!

troll? who is? is this a private conversation that only the special few can join - woooo. Calling someone a troll just makes you look like a 6 year old, are you 6?

do you think the tax you paid in the past pays for your healthcare now or do you realise its the tax paid now thats spent today?

why should my kids tax pay for her (or even her parents) to live in a care home so she can stay in her own house and pass that onto her kids?

why? give me one good reason

do you think the tax you paid in the past pays for your healthcare now or do you realise its the tax paid now thats spent today?

why should my kids tax pay for her (or even her parents) to live in a care home so she can stay in her own house and pass that onto her kids?

why? give me one good reason

If care is going to be paid for by the state it should be paid for everyone and not just those that don’t have saving or a house.

Two people the same age doing the same job and earning the same money are treated differently because of the way they choose to spend their money, one spends it on rent, expensive holidays, drink, smokes and gambles so gets their care paid for, the other buys an nice house so doesn’t get their care paid for. Not really a fair system, paying for everyone or no one is the fair way to go.

There seems to be a judgemental tone in your post which I feel is unfair.

I am happily in a position to take care of my relatives and will be more than happy to do so. But not everyone is in that position.

And I want more than anything for my house to go to my children where it can do them some good. I'd prefer euthanasia to sitting drooling very expensively in a chair leaving them nothing.

Nothing judgemental, I was simply pointing out that it seems fair to me to expect children to look after their parents in a similar fashion to the way they, as children, were looked after by their parents.

burden and financial drain on your family

It's this bit from the post I quoted which prompted me to respond. Do parents complain of the burden and financial drain on their family while bringing up children? If not, then why should children complain when the boot is on the other foot?

I never mentioned being a burden or a drain on the family.

But I do ask where hard pressed poor families are going to get £400 a month from to pay for a poor relative's care? (It could be £800 if it's both parents) This is on top of state support.

This is a question which no one seems able to answer.

But I do ask where hard pressed poor families are going to get £400 a month from to pay for a poor relative's care? (It could be £800 if it's both parents) This is on top of state support.

once again - sell the house, or move them to a cheaper home.

If I had a huge cash pile in the bank you`de be up in arms if I wasn`t working and claiming JSA or housing benefit.

Find a care home that accepts the council's fixed fee...

Archived