You'll be paying for relative's care.

Wouldn't the individual's state pension take up the shortfall?

It might take up some of it, but in a lot of cases there will still be a shortfall that has to be covered by family (especially if in private care.)

Bottom line - Care / Residential homes are just too expensive... Only the rich can afford them without a substantial sacrifice.

It might take up some of it, but in a lot of cases there will still be a shortfall that has to be covered by family (especially if in private care.)

Bottom line - Care / Residential homes are just too expensive... Only the rich can afford them without a substantial sacrifice.

Again, in theory. We have no evidence to say this is happening.

In gym rats defence, we would be paying (hypothetically of course) for Anna's care if she didn't have a house and wouldn't object (well I wouldn't). I might if she had a house worth £250k.

How about if sh'ed had the money during her life to buy a house but didn't and spent it all on holidays and cars instead..?

How about if sh'ed had the money during her life to buy a house but didn't and spent it all on holidays and cars instead..?

Then the state would pick up the tab. As far as I am aware, there aren't hoards of old people in various states of confusion who should be living in residential care, living on the street. You won't find them in lovely high end homes, but they will be looked after.

Then the state would pick up the tab. As far as I am aware, there aren't hoards of old people in various states of confusion who should be living in residential care, living on the street. You won't find them in lovely high end homes, but they will be looked after.

So there's no advantage in being prudent..might as well go out and spend spend spend.. :)

So there's no advantage in being prudent..might as well go out and spend spend spend.. :)

To a degree you are right. But you'll end up where they say as they are footing the bill. Can you swap homes ? Don't know, but bear in mind if it's a really good one there will be a waiting list and chances of just dropping on one is about a million to one. If you are moving directly from hospital to a home, they won't want you hanging around either (bed blocking). I suppose it depends on the state you are in - if you have no idea who or where you every day is an adventure. They might have a decent level of activities to do, the staff and food might be nice. Then again they might just stick you in a day room and make you watch mind numbing telly until you finally drop off the perch.

To a degree you are right. But you'll end up where they say as they are footing the bill. Can you swap homes ? Don't know, but bear in mind if it's a really good one there will be a waiting list and chances of just dropping on one is about a million to one. If you are moving directly from hospital to a home, they won't want you hanging around either (bed blocking). I suppose it depends on the state you are in - if you have no idea who or where you every day is an adventure. They might have a decent level of activities to do, the staff and food might be nice. Then again they might just stick you in a day room and make you watch mind numbing telly until you finally drop off the perch.

So you're saying you get what you pay for.

I suppose you're right, but it makes me sad that right to the very end of life poor people are still getting the short straw.

Shouldn't everyone be entitled to the same degree of gentleness, attention, love and care?

£423 quid a week still isn't cheap, and someone, somewhere is paying it.

Shouldn't everyone be entitled to the same degree of gentleness, attention, love and care?
When has everyone ever got that?

At least these days, there is somewhere for them to end up.

That's not apologizing for the discrepancies in service and care levels at varying price points in diverse locations, which do require more regulatory monitoring and intervention, but...it used to be the case, until not so long ago, that all elders in need of support/attention/care/etc. had to fall back on, were their family (if they had one).

Utopia would of course always be nice, but when has it ever been attainable?

When has everyone ever got that?

At least these days, there is somewhere for them to end up.

That's not apologizing for the discrepancies in service and care levels at varying price points in diverse locations, which do require more regulatory monitoring and intervention, but...it used to be the case, until not so long ago, that all elders in need of support/attention/care/etc. had to fall back on, were their family (if they had one).

Utopia would of course always be nice, but when has it ever been attainable?

And the workhouse.

There are people on this forum who probably think that was a good idea...

And the workhouse.

There are people on this forum who probably think that was a good idea...

A modern-day equivalent of the workhouse.

Why is it such a bad idea to feed and accommodate someone in return for work?

At 16 I left home, I was provided with cloths, food, accommodation and some money in return for work, I had a fantastic time and I wouldn’t have changed it for anything.

Archived