You'll be paying for relative's care.

And the workhouse.

There are people on this forum who probably think that was a good idea...

back in their day, it possibly was.

Society has moved on and (my very point) is still moving on...in some respects maybe not for the better (as in, 'sub-contracting' elderly care to paid 3rd parties, rather than maintain relevant family values & fundamentals for the child(ren) to look after their parents).

Just a thought ;)

Naturally, the immutable fact that you can't have your cake (no responsibility for your elders) and eat it (not having to pay someone for assuming this responsibility) cannot be circumvented :P

Most families need two wages coming in to keep their heads above water. Lots of Mums would prefer to be home looking after children, as well as parents, but can't afford it.

Many other circumstances prevent children from taking care of elderly parents. It's not heartlessness, but changing modern life - like you said, not always for the better.

A modern-day equivalent of the workhouse.

Why is it such a bad idea to feed and accommodate someone in return for work?

At 16 I left home, I was provided with cloths, food, accommodation and some money in return for work, I had a fantastic time and I wouldn’t have changed it for anything.

what prison term did you serve then :hihi:

Most families need two wages coming in to keep their heads above water. Lots of Mums would prefer to be home looking after children, as well as parents, but can't afford it.

Many other circumstances prevent children from taking care of elderly parents. It's not heartlessness, but changing modern life - like you said, not always for the better.

And?

That's also why care homes have developed, and are still developing, to the extent that they have. The same basic economic/commercial principles apply to this service sector as to any others. Everything has a cost, the variance is down to how resources & profit levels are managed.

Throw in the baby boomer > geriatrics boomer demographic effect into this mix and there you are.

Edit - not having a go @ you, Anna, just being pragmatic/realist.

And?

That's also why care homes have developed, and are still developing, to the extent that they have. The same basic economic/commercial principles apply to this service sector as to any others. Everything has a cost, the variance is down to how resources & profit levels are managed.

Throw in the baby boomer > geriatrics boomer demographic effect into this mix and there you are.

Edit - not having a go @ you, Anna, just being pragmatic/realist.

Understood. Ditto.

One of the things that is pushing up the cost of care is the blank cheque some of these homes have signed to pay ever increasing loans/rents (PFI etc)

So once again ordinary people are having to dip into their own pocket to cover someone else's stupidity, and another person's greed.

Understood. Ditto.

One of the things that is pushing up the cost of care is the blank cheque some of these homes have signed to pay ever increasing loans/rents (PFI etc)

So once again ordinary people are having to dip into their own pocket to cover someone else's stupidity, and another person's greed.

Anna, you rarely respond to anything I write. I get it.

But do you live in some kind of idealogical bubble?

Anna, you rarely respond to anything I write. I get it.

But do you live in some kind of idealogical bubble?

Hi ash,

No I don't think I live in an idealogical bubble, but I do get so angry these days.

I have a thing about fairness, which means I'm probably going to be disappointed 'cos I know we don't live in a fair world, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try.

Hi ash,

No I don't think I live in an idealogical bubble, but I do get so angry these days.

I have a thing about fairness, which means I'm probably going to be disappointed 'cos I know we don't live in a fair world, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try.

I think you do (but you can't see it), but I also know the rules, so restrict myself to what is allowed on the site :)

Well thanks for a reply. I thought I was on ignore :)

If you think the UK is unfair (which most of your threads are about), you should look around more. We are pampered with a luxury of fairness beyond any belief here in the UK when compared to much of the rest of the world. We've had it for so long, that we (not me) don't know how good we've got it. I think it's shameful how greedy humans are capable of being - and it's everywhere on this forum - just like it is at work and everywhere else I have to listen to people in the real world, in the UK.

Unless other countries learn from our mistakes, they will all follow the same path.

Archived