Winter Tyre MOT Question

big_g

Don,t spoil the ship for a hapeth of tar,replace all four they are not too expensive.Buy a set of wheels off E-Bay then switch them for your usual set. When winter is over swop over to your normal set,then back again in autumn.Remember winter tyres are directional they must be facing the correct way and always inform your insurance company they only need one excuse to refuse to pay out in the case of a mishap!.:roll::confused:

If it was my car then I'd put it right. However, it isn't. I did try to explain the differences in grip between the two tyres on the one axle but it fell on deaf ears.

When I asked how it had happened, he explained that he'd had a slow puncture, gone to get it repaired but it was unrepairable so the owner of the outfit sold him a second hand tyre. I wouldn't mind, they're not exactly hard up either - can't understand them going for a second hand tyre.

I was hoping that I could say that the car would fail the MOT but it seems from what people are saying that it won't.

The fact that it is on the back is slightly better if I understand things correctly. I'm assuming that as a winter tyre rubber is softer at low temperatures it is also much softer in the summer which will presumably mean that it will have more grip then but will wear much quicker than the other three. If the tyre was on the front then under severe braking I could see there being a danger.

I'll try and convince him to get it changed next time I see him - can't see him taking any notice though.

sorry i don't at the moment, i'll look into an article, but that's what i've been taught as i am in training to be a mechanic.

---------- Post added 17-02-2013 at 21:26 ----------

Regulation 26 Stipulates the requirements for tyre mixing

Tyre Mixing

Must NOT have radial tyres on the front wheels and cross ply tyres on the rear wheels, it is also illegal to have a cross ply tyre on one side with a radial on the other.

All steerable axles must be fitted with tyres of the same construction, as must all driven axles that are not steerable. An axle includes two stub axles that form a pair, and an articulated vehicle is treated as two separate vehicles.

(just for those who don't know, radial tyres and cross ply tyres are different constructions under the tread ((The wire inside them)) and radial are found on almost all new cars.)

---------- Post added 17-02-2013 at 21:27 ----------

now i'll find the one about different tread patterns

---------- Post added 17-02-2013 at 21:29 ----------

oops, i was wrong..

"Mixing brands and patterns of the same construction type is permissible depending on the vehicle type and manufacturers recommendation. Check your vehicle's handbook for tyre fitment details and options"

:huh::huh::huh::huh:

Just a thought.

If the owners manual warned against mixing different types of tyre on the same axle, could that invalidate insurance in the event of an accident, on the basis that the car wasn't being operated in accordance with the manufacturer's requirements?

The manual for my car warns against fitting different tyes on the same axle (do3sn't mrnion winter tyres though) and warns that it can stop the stability control working.

well it COULD mean the construction type (which if you fitted 2 different constructions on the same axle that would be illegal but yes, different tread patterns will give different amounts of grip and water dispersion, meaning you could aquaplane on one side of your car, which would be VERY dangerous.

this has nothing to do the the op's question.

as long as the winter tyre has the same pattern/size as the standard tyre,and has the minimal amount of tread required,then its perfectly legal and should pass an mot

sorry i don't at the moment, i'll look into an article, but that's what i've been taught as i am in training to be a mechanic.

---------- Post added 17-02-2013 at 21:26 ----------

Regulation 26 Stipulates the requirements for tyre mixing

Tyre Mixing

Must NOT have radial tyres on the front wheels and cross ply tyres on the rear wheels, it is also illegal to have a cross ply tyre on one side with a radial on the other.

All steerable axles must be fitted with tyres of the same construction, as must all driven axles that are not steerable. An axle includes two stub axles that form a pair, and an articulated vehicle is treated as two separate vehicles.

(just for those who don't know, radial tyres and cross ply tyres are different constructions under the tread ((The wire inside them)) and radial are found on almost all new cars.)

---------- Post added 17-02-2013 at 21:27 ----------

now i'll find the one about different tread patterns

---------- Post added 17-02-2013 at 21:29 ----------

oops, i was wrong..

"Mixing brands and patterns of the same construction type is permissible depending on the vehicle type and manufacturers recommendation. Check your vehicle's handbook for tyre fitment details and options"

:huh::huh::huh::huh:

Archived