The church's position on marriage?

danot

What rights does a married couple have that civil partners do not have?

This has been explained to you several times on the other thread.

-They don't have the right to a religious marriage

-They don't have the right to honestly call each other "husband" or "wife"

-They don't have the right to join the "great institution of marriage"

-The civil partner of a Knight, Baron or other honour gets no title of their own

-They have the right to equality, but it is denied by the above

In addition, as already explained to you previously, the more important issue is social and symbolic equality....

I only touched on this briefly, but I think the social and symbolic aspect of having a different word for a same sex union than for an opposite sex union, is the most important issue.

Back to the comparison of blacks on the back of the bus and civil partnerships, which some say cannot be fairly compared;

-Gay man, can't marry his lover, he can have a civil partnership which is almost the same. He gets almost the same rights and experience. The difference is trivial, minute, so it doesn't matter. Equal but different.

-Black man, allowed to sit on the second row of the middle seats, but not the first. His seat is only a few inches back from the white man's seat, he can see the same things, has the same quality of seat, the same ride experience. Equal but different, right? I mean the difference of a few inches is trivial, minute.

Okay, now let's pretend for a minute that there is NO difference between a marriage and a civil partnership, only the name given to it.

-Gay man has a civil partnership with his lover, exactly how he wants it, no problems, just as if they got married. It's equal, but different, right? Nobody can deny that, right?

Now let's also pretend that black people never had to sit in a designated section, they were free to sit on ay seat they wanted, the same seats as white people. The only difference was the name for it.

-White man sits in a "seat" for his journey, then gets up and leaves. Black man sits down on the same seat, but because he is black it is not called a seat. While ever there is a black person using it, it must be referred to as a "place".

The white man sits in his "seat" while the black man sits in his "place". Equal but different, right?

No problems there then :rolleyes:

So do you think "equal but different" is okay? Would it be okay for black people to have to sit in a "place" while whites can sit in a "seat" ?

What rights does a married couple have that civil partners do not have?

The right to marry.

I've been here before I think.

*back in time visual effects*

What rights does a married couple have that a gay civil partnership doesn't have?

The right to marry.

I'm ending this. It is hugely and plainly obvious that you are a clown of the highest order. :)

Good day to you sir.

This has been explained to you several times on the other thread.

-They don't have the right to a religious marriage

-They don't have the right to honestly call each other "husband" or "wife"

-They don't have the right to join the "great institution of marriage"

-The civil partner of a Knight, Baron or other honour gets no title of their own

-They have the right to equality, but it is denied by the above

In addition, as already explained to you previously, the more important issue is social and symbolic equality....

So do you think "equal but different" is okay? Would it be okay for black people to have to sit in a "place" while whites can sit in a "seat" ?

Treating different things differently is normal, and when dealing with humans its best to respect those differences whilst treating them equally. Looking at your list, the rights of civil partners could do with tweaking to allow them a religious wedding if and only if a religion was prepared to marry them.

I can’t imagine a gay couple wanting to be called husband and wife, partner is a much nicer word and sounds more equal don’t you think.

---------- Post added 17-02-2013 at 17:25 ----------

The right to marry.

I've been here before I think.

*back in time visual effects*

Married people can't get married.

I can’t imagine a gay couple wanting to be called husband and wife, partner is a much nicer word and sounds more equal don’t you think.

What about wife and wife, or husband and husband?

---------- Post added 17-02-2013 at 17:32 ----------

Married people can't get married.

Of course they can, plenty of married people I know have managed to re-marry.

Treating different things differently is normal, and when dealing with humans its best to respect those differences whilst treating them equally. Looking at your list, the rights of civil partners could do with tweaking to allow them a religious wedding if and only if a religion was prepared to marry them.

I can’t imagine a gay couple wanting to be called husband and wife, partner is a much nicer word and sounds more equal don’t you think

I didn't say "husband and wife".

As usual you've chosen to ignore an important question.

What about wife and wife, or husband and husband?

Of course they can, plenty of married people I know have managed to re-marry.

Yes I see your point but do people realy call the partners wife and husband or do they call them by their name.

They were not married when they re married.

---------- Post added 17-02-2013 at 17:38 ----------

I didn't say "husband and wife".

As usual you've chosen to ignore an important question.

What you deem important I may find trivial or irrelevant.

So what is the important question I didn’t answer?

Yes I see your point but do people realy call the partners wife and husband or do they call them by their name.

---------- Post added 17-02-2013 at 17:38 ----------

What you deem important I may find trivial or irrelevant.

So what is the important question I didn’t answer?

Post #53 on this page

That's their choice though.

No but there was a legal option for married people to marry again if they choose it. Choice here seems to be the central theme, by denying same sex couples the same choice you must agree that they are discriminated against, however symbolic that discrimination may be; it still exists.

Archived