I have no idea where you have got your information from. There is one

former shop boarded up, as it is in process of being renovated. Where are

most of the other boarded up shops? The "Washed out newsagent" is a

thriving business selling groceries, frozen food, sweets etc as well as

newpapers.Most of the shops refered too in this debate where turned into

houses many years ago.

---------- Post added 19-02-2013 at 14:43 ----------

Other shops I can recall, There was a Haberdashers next to what was Colliers

The shop that is now a Chinese Takeaway, was a hardware store, seem to think it was called The Economic store, next along if my memory serves me right were a Cobblers, another greengrocers, and the last one was Kendricks sweet shop.

Are you saying this is an appealing array of shops?The newsagents if thriving could afford a little paint.The former shops have been poorly converted to housing of a kind.My information is based on observation-the shops lower the area's tone as they are an eyesore.I presume you are a stakeholder given your melodramatic outrage.

Mr beckwiths shop was a very old place but fascinated me with all the things he sold in the shop. I recall him wearing a brown overall. His wife Doris had the wool shop but sold clothes to. My mother had a account there she would pay weekly, we could bring the goods home which was very trusting of mrs beckwith. The family lived in the corner house on Ben lane/ dykes lane.

Remember the cobblers next to Mrs. Beckwiths shop and the barbers further round.

Do you remember the clock near the Ben Lane shops ?

Are you saying this is an appealing array of shops?The newsagents if thriving could afford a little paint.The former shops have been poorly converted to housing of a kind.My information is based on observation-the shops lower the area's tone as they are an eyesore.I presume you are a stakeholder given your melodramatic outrage.

Originally Posted by gnvqsos

They are a shocker now-one Coronation Street hairdressers and an East Enders caff,with a washed out newsagent.Most are boarded up.

No I am not in any way connected to these shops, other than an occasional customer. Still waiting to hear where these "most are boarded up" shops are.

Originally Posted by gnvqsos

They are a shocker now-one Coronation Street hairdressers and an East Enders caff,with a washed out newsagent.Most are boarded up.

No I am not in any way connected to these shops, other than an occasional customer. Still waiting to hear where these "most are boarded up" shops are.

Harrisons Off Licence,boarded up on Gmap,several others cheaply converted to housing.Very pleasing on the eye:hihi:

• 3 years later...
  • 7 years later...

Yes I recall The Shops at Wise wood/Findon ... Bellingers Grocery Shop which sold sweets, Cryers back of the School, TOM's Hairdressers...... and the Newsagents shop was Mr & Mrs Hudson, There was Colliers Bakers ,.,.. Mr Langstone who owned the Fruit & Veggie Shop, There was a Haberdashery shop, A chemist next door to the newsagents and the Chinese Take AWAY was top of Bolder Hill first shop on the left coming up or right going down. The Chinese WAS previously a DIY SHOP in the early 50's where you could buy garden canes and buckets and watering cans etc. The Owner of the Chinese Chippy was BRIAN my mothers 2nd cousin who had married a Chinese lady (the chinese lady had an extra small tiny thumb stuck on her normal thumb) they had a daughter LEE who was or is my cousin twice removed, There was a Betting office which was blacked out by a dark green window,  That was around where Langstones was.  Colliers Bakery also sold GOB stoppers and Black jacks and Raspbberry fruit sweets. Colliers Elephant Foots were brilliant. Mr and Mrs Hudson owned the Newsagents then bought the corner shop opposite that was a general grocery shop.... they then sold that and moved to a newsagents around 1967 which was up near Marples Tools on West street on a corner.  The Hudsons newsagents was a corner shop at the end of Norris road and their grocery shop which they moved too was opposite also on Norris Road BOTH are now changed into just Normal houses having been bricked up.  There was a second newsagents further along just between Norris Road and Findon Street. The 2nd newsagents was famous for selling Fireworks Mainly STANDARD FIREWORKS..... that shop was also open till 12 noon on Sundays and the large over weight guy who owned it would also break the law and sell folks items that you were back then not supposed to sell on a Sunday. How times have changed.  Mr Bellinger had a stroke but he was into Photography and down in the cellar at Bellingers he had a dark room and he would photograph table top photo's of Toys, lots of Boats from WW2 he would make it look like a battle was going off. LOL. After his stroke it was difficult for him to speak but after 2 years he was almost back to normal. I remember Mr Langstone had a brother who lived opposite the Green Grocers and opposite his brothers shop he was an accountant a large but very smartly dressed man.  Trevor Sheldon a mate of mine lived opposite Bellingers. Further along next door too Bellingers heading towards Wisewood House was a small group of homes one of them at the very end next to Wisewood house almost (although there was the OLD PIECE) between the end house there was a lad be in his 80's now who played drums.  Wisewood house was very nice back then and it was the home of Sir Andrew Stephen (dr Stephen) and his wife and 3 sons Andrew Jnr, Ian Stephen the eldest and Martin Stephen the youngest who was my best pal for many many years as iI lived at 34 Findon Crescent.  There were other shops like the Chippy I think that was owned by Mr Mann and a bag of chips cost you a three penny bit.  There was a shop on a corner  not far from the school that sold LUCKY BAGS.... bought a few of them and also Liquirice sticks.

31 minutes ago, RichardETCarnel said:

Yes I recall The Shops at Wise wood/Findon ... Bellingers Grocery Shop which sold sweets, Cryers back of the School, TOM's Hairdressers...... and the Newsagents shop was Mr & Mrs Hudson, There was Colliers Bakers ,.,.. Mr Langstone who owned the Fruit & Veggie Shop, There was a Haberdashery shop, A chemist next door to the newsagents and the Chinese Take AWAY was top of Bolder Hill first shop on the left coming up or right going down. The Chinese WAS previously a DIY SHOP in the early 50's where you could buy garden canes and buckets and watering cans etc. The Owner of the Chinese Chippy was BRIAN my mothers 2nd cousin who had married a Chinese lady (the chinese lady had an extra small tiny thumb stuck on her normal thumb) they had a daughter LEE who was or is my cousin twice removed, There was a Betting office which was blacked out by a dark green window,  That was around where Langstones was.  Colliers Bakery also sold GOB stoppers and Black jacks and Raspbberry fruit sweets. Colliers Elephant Foots were brilliant. Mr and Mrs Hudson owned the Newsagents then bought the corner shop opposite that was a general grocery shop.... they then sold that and moved to a newsagents around 1967 which was up near Marples Tools on West street on a corner.  The Hudsons newsagents was a corner shop at the end of Norris road and their grocery shop which they moved too was opposite also on Norris Road BOTH are now changed into just Normal houses having been bricked up.  There was a second newsagents further along just between Norris Road and Findon Street. The 2nd newsagents was famous for selling Fireworks Mainly STANDARD FIREWORKS..... that shop was also open till 12 noon on Sundays and the large over weight guy who owned it would also break the law and sell folks items that you were back then not supposed to sell on a Sunday. How times have changed.  Mr Bellinger had a stroke but he was into Photography and down in the cellar at Bellingers he had a dark room and he would photograph table top photo's of Toys, lots of Boats from WW2 he would make it look like a battle was going off. LOL. After his stroke it was difficult for him to speak but after 2 years he was almost back to normal. I remember Mr Langstone had a brother who lived opposite the Green Grocers and opposite his brothers shop he was an accountant a large but very smartly dressed man.  Trevor Sheldon a mate of mine lived opposite Bellingers. Further along next door too Bellingers heading towards Wisewood House was a small group of homes one of them at the very end next to Wisewood house almost (although there was the OLD PIECE) between the end house there was a lad be in his 80's now who played drums.  Wisewood house was very nice back then and it was the home of Sir Andrew Stephen (dr Stephen) and his wife and 3 sons Andrew Jnr, Ian Stephen the eldest and Martin Stephen the youngest who was my best pal for many many years as iI lived at 34 Findon Crescent.  There were other shops like the Chippy I think that was owned by Mr Mann and a bag of chips cost you a three penny bit.  There was a shop on a corner  not far from the school that sold LUCKY BAGS.... bought a few of them and also Liquirice sticks.

There was also a wallpaper shop.

23 hours ago, RichardETCarnel said:

It was later than 1967 when reg hudson moved to west street,i was one of his paper lads up to late 1970. If i remember right the other shop at the end of norris road was berrys, i cant remember the hudsons ever owning that.