Cost of policing Julian Assange wikileaks siege.

I believe the rape was consensual sex, but he didn't use a condom, something like that...

It's strange that you have a sense of belief, on the basis presumably of nothing other than that he's apparently a good guy (believe me, he's not).

Anyway he has been more than willing to talk to Swedish prosecutors in this country.

That's very charitable of him isn't it. Only, the warrant that's out for him isn't for him to "talk" to people, it's for him to be prosecuted.

---------- Post added 07-02-2016 at 17:18 ----------

No, but every case is different.

So, are you saying that his work for wikileaks mitigates any rapes he may commit? Because that's certainly what it sounds like

It's strange that you have a sense of belief, on the basis presumably of nothing other than that he's apparently a good guy (believe me, he's not).

That's very charitable of him isn't it. Only, the warrant that's out for him isn't for him to "talk" to people, it's for him to be prosecuted.

---------- Post added 07-02-2016 at 17:18 ----------

So, are you saying that his work for wikileaks mitigates any rapes he may commit? Because that's certainly what it sounds like

It's a ruse to get him to Sweden for extradition and he knows it. They could easily sort it out in UK. The fact they won't proves it.

It's a ruse to get him to Sweden for extradition and he knows it. They could easily sort it out in UK. The fact they won't proves it.

Why on earth would they try him in the UK for a crime committed in Sweden? There's no basis at all in law to do so, and the swedes would rightly demand that he be tried again there. So all it proves is that much as he might hate to hear it, the world doesn't revolve around Julian Assange.

The reason people are able to joke about the UN's judgement is that it's laughable. He's not being detained; he's welcome to leave the embassy any time he wants to.

As for him being a hero, it would be all well and good if wikileaks' work was simply publishing evidence of criminal activity. But it's not; it's publishing as much stuff as they possibly can, generally without redaction or enquiry as to what it even contains, or what the fallout would be for the innocent people whose data they publish. And then he has the gall to whine about being mistreated when he chooses not to face trial for a crime he may have committed. The suggestion that since he is such a "hero" then he should be treated as immune from prosecution is the sick joke.

And as for putting up statues, maybe the "small" matter of whether he's a rapist should be cleared up first.

Yes exactly. Of course there is a distinct chance the charges in Sweden are politically motivated with the sole put of extradition him to the US, but I'm afraid to say what did he expect? I don't know if I think he's a hero, that's QA bit too much, but he was brave and committed to do what he did initially but since then is trying to make himself into some ridiculous martyr. He'd actually do more good for his own cause y leaving the embassy, going to Sweden to face those charges and then if it happens using his court appearances in the US to further his case. If you want to be a hero then you have to be prepared to go the whole way and he knew the likelihood of a death penalty if caught and charged before he started. He can't be that much of an idiot. Of course I genuinely wish that something had come of all these leaks, that government's actually took note and stopped spying on us under the pretence of security, but all of us are guilty of not making them. We all sit back and say 'if I've done nothing wrong then I'll be fine' and it's just not true anymore. I'm as guilty as the rest of not wishing to give up my comfortable life to highlight things that Ive seen that make me ethically uncomfortable and that ashames me.i have incredible respect for people are willing to risk everything for others like Assange and Snowden, bit it doesn't make them above the law.

---------- Post added 08-02-2016 at 09:01 ----------

Do not confuse accuracy with being 'the new thing'

Accuracy has been around for ages.

---------- Post added 06-02-2016 at 00:32 ----------

And will be arrested if he does. Yes, I can see how he is free. Yes, you have convinced me :rolleyes:

Serious question, the only reason he hasn't been arrested is because he is in an embassy where UK police cannot go. So does this UN ruling affect others? Let's say someone taks hostages and the police surround the building. Is this now illegally detaining them as theyd be arrested as soon as they came out? I fully understand the wider picture of the UNs statement, but they are cowards. If they wanted to make a point about how was actually about Americas actions towards him then they should have said that rather than try to force the UK into making a decision between EU law (valid European arrest warrant for him) or the non-legally binding UN panel. It is that that is ridiculous. Perhaps we should have 'accidentally' let gimme in the first place, but by law we must make efforts to apprehend him unless you now suggest we ignore international law on the say so of a non-legally binding UN board?

Y I genuinely wish that something had come of all these leaks, that government's actually took note and stopped spying on us under the pretence of security, but all of us are guilty of not making them. We all sit back and say 'if I've done nothing wrong then I'll be fine' and it's just not true anymore.

---------- Post added 08-02-2016 at 09:01 ----------

[/color]

Serious question, the only reason he hasn't been arrested is because he is in an embassy where UK police cannot go. So does this UN ruling affect others? Let's say someone taks hostages and the police surround the building. Is this now illegally detaining them as theyd be arrested as soon as they came out? I fully understand the wider picture of the UNs statement, but they are cowards. If they wanted to make a point about how was actually about Americas actions towards him then they should have said that rather than try to force the UK into making a decision between EU law (valid European arrest warrant for him) or the non-legally binding UN panel. It is that that is ridiculous. Perhaps we should have 'accidentally' let gimme in the first place, but by law we must make efforts to apprehend him unless you now suggest we ignore international law on the say so of a non-legally binding UN board?

Julian Assange has done nothing if not raise awareness of the secrecy that pervades our so called democracies, the level of propaganda, and the things being done in our name. So yes, I think his Wikileakes campaign has helped enlighten us all, even if it has made things more complicated and made us uncomfortable with the truth. If Edward Snowdon (in exile in Russia) and Chelsea Manning (35 years in an American jail) are anything to go by, for telling the truth, I don't blame Assange for keeping out of the American's way.

You are also so right about the head in-the-sand people who still believe the 'if I've done nothing wrong I've nothing to fear.' We are sleepwalking into a police state, and it will get worse until we all realise it. Our freedoms are being eroded, and constant surveillance is becoming the norm. If people can't see the problem with that, then there's no hope. Unfortunately some won't realise until it turns round and bites them - by then it will be too late.

As for the sanctity of embassy status, all I know is that embassies have been stormed in the past, by both police and armed forces, in hostage situations.

Edited by Anna B

Julian Assange has done nothing if not raise awareness of the secrecy that pervades our so called democracies, the level of propaganda, and the things being done in our name. So yes, I think his Wikileakes campaign has helped enlighten us all, even if it has made things more complicated and made us uncomfortable with the truth.

You are also so right about the head in-the-sand people who still believe the 'if I've done nothing wrong I've nothing to fear.' We are sleepwalking into a police state, and it will get worse until we all realise it. Our freedoms are being eroded, and constant surveillance is becoming the norm. If people can't see the problem with that, then there's no hope. Unfortunately some won't realise until it turns round and bites them - by then it will be too late.

Do you think Julian Assange values your privacy, or do you think that he'd happily publish all your otherwise irrelevant private correspondence if you were unfortunate enough to have a lowly job in an organisation which turned out to have done some dodgy deals at some point?

He's not some hero liberal, who values your freedom, privacy and security. If the world was free and lacked constant surveillance, then the person who would be most gutted would be Julian Assange.

How can a crime alleged to have been committed in Sweden be sorted out in the UK? Genuine question..

There are doubts as to whether he's committed a crime at all. As in the first instance the sex was consensual, and in the second no force was used. There's also a suggestion that the woman may have been 'persuaded' to bring charges.

He could return to Sweden and see it thrown straight out of court, but still end up spending 30 years in an American prison. He doesn't think he will get a fair trial in America, and I think he's right.

There are doubts as to whether he's committed a crime at all. As in the first instance the sex was consensual, and in the second no force was used. There's also a suggestion that the woman may have been 'persuaded' to bring charges.

He could return to Sweden and see it thrown straight out of court, but still end up spending 30 years in an American prison. He doesn't think he will get a fair trial in America, and I think he's right.

So it can't be sorted out in the UK? Does there have to be force used for it to be rape?

What do you think is wrong with the Swedish justice system that it can't be trusted to give him a fair trial for the rape allegation? From what I've heard the USA has made no extradition request and there's no established legal basis in Sweden to grant one for his alleged espionage crimes against the USA anyway.