Cost of policing Julian Assange wikileaks siege.

Generally, it's accepted that, if two countries are at peace, each is entitled to maintain an embassy in the other country. It is usual for the embassy to be inviolate. "Angry mobs" might be used to storm an embassy, but I doubt whether Britain's "rent-a-mob" is prepared to do this.

Up to the declaration of WW II, the British Embassy in Germany was safe, as was the US one until USA entered the war. The staff were allowed to leave under diplomatic immunity, despite the war.

It's a silly old-fashioned way to behave, isn't it?

Get the mob to storm the embassy, and accept the war with Ecuador which might result!

Do we have 5 million quid spare to protect an alleged nonce from the evil human rights abusers of..err Sweden????

No. Kick the door down, drag him out and put him a plane to Stockholm.

I think this puts your social liberal claim into some perspective-you sound like a BNP sympathiser.

• 2 years later...

Thought I'd drag this thread back up as he's in the news again:

Julian Assange should be allowed to go free, UN panel finds

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35499942

More worryingly, this:

and be compensated for his "deprivation of liberty", a UN legal panel has found.

How much ££££££££££££££ do we think he'll ask for?

True but this is about being arbitrarily detained which is in a sense forced detention.

The wiki link..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbitrary_arrest_and_detention

He isn't being detained. This is a free country. He is at will to stay in the embassy or leave as he sees fit. The police are free to be on the streets of London whenever they like.

The UN has embarrassed itself here. The UK has done nothing wrong in this case.

---------- Post added 05-02-2016 at 14:56 ----------

True but this is about being arbitrarily detained which is in a sense forced detention.

The wiki link..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbitrary_arrest_and_detention

"in a sense" cuts no ice in law.

The UN have dropped a bollock here. whoops :hihi:

He isn't being detained. This is a free country. He is at will to stay in the embassy or leave as he sees fit. The police are free to be on the streets of London whenever they like.

And I suspect they wouldn't have tried hard to catch him if he'd done a runner.

The man is a huge tool and the UN should be ashamed of themselves.

From one news source I read:

It's the majority opinion by a panel of 5 lawyers looking at written submissions.

One of the five declined to take part as she was Australian and did not want to be considered to be biased.

Another said the whole thing was ludicrous because Assange is clearly not being detained so they should not even consider the case.

The other 3 decided the words "arbitrarily detained" could be melded to fit Assange's situation.

Amusingly, Assange is on Ecuadorian soil as long as he stays in the embassy, so the UK can't be detaining him!

The UN has embarrassed itself here. The UK has done nothing wrong in this case.

---------- Post added 05-02-2016 at 14:56 ----------

"in a sense" cuts no ice in law.

The UN have dropped a bollock here. whoops :hihi:

Maybe but that does not alter the ruling yet and also what the law states, the reason I linked to wiki.