Cost of policing Julian Assange wikileaks siege.

Why is it so important to our government that they'd spend £12m in the hope of extraditing him to Sweden? Clearly there is no more to this, as we'd typically spend that amount trying to procure the extradition of any Tom, Dick or Harry, who has been accused of similar things.

Julian Assange is a defender of free speech, accountability and transparency, all ideals which used to be valued in Britain, but can now get you put in jail. Why?

We are quietly watching while our freedoms are trashed, politicians lie to us as a matter of course, and spend their time trying to shutdown the hard won freedom of information act. Why do we let them get away with it?

Assange, Chelsea Manning and Edward Snowdon are seen as heroes in many parts of the world for being at the forefront of our right to know what is being done in our name.

They have even put up a statue of the three of them in Berlin.

Julian Assange is a narcissist of the highest order who has thrown everyone under the bus to suit his needs, including his mate Chelsea, the poor schmuck who stumped up his bail money, countless agents, the British tax payer and, I'm quite sure the reputation of the UN in the fullness of name.

Edward Snowdon, who whilst I don't necessarily agree with totally, I respect a lot. He had a very specific plan, a moral one in my view. Assanges boiled down to "Ooooooooo look at me and look what I've done" and sod the consiquences. To compare the two does you no favours.

---------- Post added 05-02-2016 at 19:47 ----------

Why is it so important to our government that they'd spend £12m in the hope of extraditing him to Sweden? Clearly there is no more to this, as we'd typically spend that amount trying to procure the extradition of any Tom, Dick or Harry, who has been accused of similar things.

Fair comment. Most western countries have far worse running around waiting for their collar felt.

What does this idiot Assange think would happen ?

If you go around leaking top secret government memo`s and information you are going to be hunted down. I hope he is packed off to Sweden so they can hand him over to the Yanks.

Life without parole in an Amercian Jail is what this traitor deserves.

---------- Post added 05-02-2016 at 19:56 ----------

Of course there is . this idiot is a traitor who has leaked classified information all over the tinterweb . He cannot be allowed to get away with it. The Yanks want him ,and rightly so .

Of course there is . this idiot is a traitor who has leaked classified information all over the tinterweb . He cannot be allowed to get away with it. The Yanks want him ,and rightly so .

Sorry, my mistake...

So, the information leaked revealed absolutely no wrong doing? Or, is it that our governments should be free to do whatever it is they like, with impunity, without accountability?